PDA

View Full Version : Save my corals

canadianbudz604
01-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Looking for some advice on how to frag corals off of my algae infested rocks. I'm finally back from working out of town for good and want to get my tank in order.
There is bubble algae/hair algae/turf algae/anthelia Algae/Texas trash Palys algae everywhere lol. I'm in the process of moving stuff over to a new tank, but don't want any of the pests. Some are nice sized pieces but these pests surround them. What do i do?

asylumdown
01-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Only think you can do is cut above the line of living tissue. If you bring any of the dead skeleton/rock with you, you'll bring everything you don't want with it.

jason604
02-01-2015, 02:50 PM
This happened to my tank n eventual lead to a lot of coral death. I agree with ^ cut off the dead tissue all it does it cause algae to grow n smother more live tissue to death. This process will take hours to do so plan UR day. When u cut off the corals then take the rocks out if u can and brush it with a stiff toothbrush in a bucket then put back. Start carbon dosing slowly. I use vodka and vinegar 4:1 ratio and some Gfo. Use less Gfo to not shock n crash UR tank like I did. I'm still battling long green hair algae for the past 2-3months but this surely help n caused no more death. My problem is my sump is full of garbage and it's very hard for me to fully clean it out due to limited room in my stand so it will always b fuel for the algae but My new tank should b rdy for corals soon. For bubble algae just get a 1-2 emerald crabs n they should do the trick or use hard line tubing n siphon them out.

Myka
02-01-2015, 03:12 PM
What type of corals do you have to cut off? You might have to remove them and cut them with a rotary tool with a diamond blade. I've used a hack saw blade in my hand (not mounted in a saw) right in the tank before.

Aquattro
02-01-2015, 03:53 PM
What type of corals do you have to cut off?

Rather important detail :)

canadianbudz604
02-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Green sinularia
Cyphestrea japonica
Hammers
Candy cane
Super man mushrooms
Gsp (I still like it)
Frogspawn

mohammadali
02-01-2015, 07:29 PM
i put 2 emerald crab in my rsm130 cleaned out the bubble algae

donkey77
02-03-2015, 10:22 PM
how many corals are you trying to save
gotta take the rock out and bake it in the sun for 2 weeks
start over it might be easier
just my 2 grains

reef-keeper
02-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Look up dr. Tim's waste away. It is working for me. Plus I also cut back on my feeding.

canadianbudz604
02-04-2015, 04:55 PM
I was gone away for awhile and the tank never got taken care of except over feeding and top ups. I'm using ro/di which tests 0, but I think the tank is too far gone now. I did a 60% water change, but maybe it's time to shut it down. I have a really nice hammer in there, but the skeleton is covered in red turf algae. The soft corals I'll just cut off at the base and hope they live. How do I save the hammer and frogspawn?