PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so difficult to buy a tank these days?

VFX
01-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Does nobody want business any more?

Having sold my tank in anticipation of a new one... my tank builder decided to ignore me. I haven't heard from him in months once we'd specced up the tank. He never replies to messages or email & also he's taken no money from me, so I guess there's no tank coming.

After coming to that conclusion, i contact one of our sponsors to inquire about getting one made up & sent over. Months later & no response.

So, I guess I should shop locally then...

I go to a cheap but filthy local LFS, to ask about what they have and was completely ignored by everyone downstairs. Eventually, my wife flagged down a sales person from the fresh water side & directed him my way. When I asked told him what I was looking for, he said they only have what I can see here... so i ask him the price of one of the tanks they had sitting right there. His response? "How would I know, I'm not the fish guy" and then he promptly turned his back on me & walked away whilst I was mid sentence.

I go upstairs to speak with the owners & they just said "well you asked the wrong person, what did you expect?". No apologies, no offer to help me, just carried on his conversation with his wife(?).

After that I go to another sponsor, where I'm a known regular. I tell them what I want, they tell me to email them as it'd be easier... well, no response.

So I email a handful of local places who deal with custom tanks, all from their website contact pages. A week later no response.

All the while, my fish & corals are looking uncomfortable in a tiny 75 gallon tank on the floor of my living room, instead of being in a shiny new 120+ gallon tank :sad::sad::sad:

Is business so good that they can't be bothered?

Or is it really difficult to build a nice 60L"x24W"x20H"?

I even gave the option of a standard 48"x24"x24" if my custom dimensions were too awkward... oh well, I'll scour the used market I guess.

TheZoalander
01-31-2015, 07:50 AM
Give Roger's Aquatics a try, they have a decent tank section, and helpful staff. ( 120th & 82nd ave in Surrey )

Scythanith
01-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Have you tried Concept? They are quite willing to ship.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-31-2015, 08:19 AM
I have contacted a friend who will have a 120g rr available soon, just needs to finish setting up his 180g.

Its a standard 120g (4'x2'x2')

jason604
01-31-2015, 08:22 AM
I think i know exactly which "filthy local LFS" UR talking about. I once was there n witnessed a friendly lady just pointed at a nano reef tank that they had on display n asked the owner how much that cost n he just laughed n said u can't afford it n walked away. Also none of the staffs downstairs know anything about corals or fishes. Take ur business to concept aquariums they make amazing tanks.

Samw
01-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Have you tried Island Pets in Richmond? Their showroom is full of cool designer tanks.

Bill@IA
01-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Not the exact dimensions but In stock and ready to ship:

http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_97&products_id=3758

Pike
01-31-2015, 01:29 PM
so why are we hiding the names of these LFS that are so despicable. Why dont you all let us know so that maybe none of us go through the same thing and they can suffer the consequences...

reefwars
01-31-2015, 02:29 PM
Just a thought but if you send someone an email and don't get a reply in months maybe your email never made it where it's supposed to go?

If you call me at concept in Calgary I'm sure i can help you out personally and I'm there all day today :)

Denny (403) 230-7831

Concept aquariums

Coral Hoarder
01-31-2015, 02:35 PM
Lmao I know exactly wich lfs your talking about

Island pets in Richmond is very willing to special order things go check it out give them a call

Aqua-Digital
01-31-2015, 02:48 PM
+1 concepts, without doubt the best tanks I have ever seen and I have had two from them now. Check out their one piece Euro brace! Now thats quality.

mikellini
01-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Does nobody want business any more?

Having sold my tank in anticipation of a new one... my tank builder decided to ignore me. I haven't heard from him in months once we'd specced up the tank. He never replies to messages or email & also he's taken no money from me, so I guess there's no tank coming.

After coming to that conclusion, i contact one of our sponsors to inquire about getting one made up & sent over. Months later & no response.

So, I guess I should shop locally then...

I go to a cheap but filthy local LFS, to ask about what they have and was completely ignored by everyone downstairs. Eventually, my wife flagged down a sales person from the fresh water side & directed him my way. When I asked told him what I was looking for, he said they only have what I can see here... so i ask him the price of one of the tanks they had sitting right there. His response? "How would I know, I'm not the fish guy" and then he promptly turned his back on me & walked away whilst I was mid sentence.

I go upstairs to speak with the owners & they just said "well you asked the wrong person, what did you expect?". No apologies, no offer to help me, just carried on his conversation with his wife(?).

After that I go to another sponsor, where I'm a known regular. I tell them what I want, they tell me to email them as it'd be easier... well, no response.

So I email a handful of local places who deal with custom tanks, all from their website contact pages. A week later no response.

All the while, my fish & corals are looking uncomfortable in a tiny 75 gallon tank on the floor of my living room, instead of being in a shiny new 120+ gallon tank :sad::sad::sad:

Is business so good that they can't be bothered?

Or is it really difficult to build a nice 60L"x24W"x20H"?

I even gave the option of a standard 48"x24"x24" if my custom dimensions were too awkward... oh well, I'll scour the used market I guess.

Don't take offense, but perhaps there's something about your approach? Although nobody should be treated rudely face-to-face, or have emails ignored (or missed), or be forgotten about. But two really annoying and true cliches come to mind: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck with your search, and I like those dimensions for a 120! Have you thought about doing 60x30x18 for around 140 gallons? Actually would hold probably 120 when full, and many more options for aquascaping

apexifd
01-31-2015, 03:00 PM
I never had any problem with the two local LFS stated by OP.

trilinearmipmap
01-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Why is it so difficult to buy a tank these days?

Here are some large 2nd hand tanks I found online, shipping might be a bit much though.

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2#currency=USD

jason604
01-31-2015, 03:53 PM
I think reefwars might b right. There's most likely something wrong with ur email. Check if ur getting bounce backs or even check ur spam folder I'm sure they r auto being sent there. Doubt so many vendors n not one replies. Btw I recently bought a tank from a reefer on here that's pretty much exactly the dimensions ur looking for n paid next to nth 😁

hunggi74
01-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Here are some large 2nd hand tanks I found online, shipping might be a bit much though.

Oh you got me:redface: too much for my blood.
OP, I have that problem with my email sometimes where it gets put into my junk mail box and I completely miss it. It does seem weird that not one company has responded to emails.

Rice Reef
01-31-2015, 05:38 PM
I never had any problem with the two local LFS stated by OP.

+1

straightrazorguy
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM

Whoa, and they are priced in US $ too! Nice, but a little too rich for my blood too....:lol:

VFX
01-31-2015, 10:43 PM
You know what? I never even thought about the email thing... I checked just now & didn't find anything amongst the spam. Other people have been getting my emails... I don't know, I guess I could try to follow up again using a different email account to be sure.

Attitude? I was very polite, gave plenty of options & information.

Those US tanks are nice. Shipping wouldn't be an issue, just drive it back!

reefwars
01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
You know what? I never even thought about the email thing... I checked just now & didn't find anything amongst the spam. Other people have been getting my emails... I don't know, I guess I could try to follow up again using a different email account to be sure.

Attitude? I was very polite, gave plenty of options & information.

Those US tanks are nice. Shipping wouldn't be an issue, just drive it back!

email me directly if you like and want to get a quote from concept :)

denny@conceptaquariums

or pm me here as well i would be glad to help if i can:)

cheers

denny

concept aquariums