PDA

View Full Version : GFI and Apex help needed

reefwithareefer
01-28-2015, 03:11 AM
So I have a dedicated 20A ground fault interruptor and it was randomly going off before, then for weeks nothing happened and it never went off. Now for the past week at around 2:00 PM and 5:30 PM it trips off. I have enabled Apex to track everything on the energy bar and keep a log. But nothing shows/goes on or off at the times the GFI trips off.

It is driving me nuts. I bought a new one yesterday and installed it and it tripped at 2 and 5:30 today anyways.

Not sure if there is a way the apex can help to figure out what is tripping it... I have looked at graphs and logs, but nothing goes on or off within 30 m inutes of the GFI tripping.

ABreefkpr
01-28-2015, 03:50 AM
Look at the graphs on your Apex website, as much as I like Fusion, the original site still has some useful information.
Have a look at the amp graph and see if the draw is high at the times that the GFI kicks out then check what might be coming on at those times. I can check history on the Apex app on my smartphone to see exactly what comes on and shuts off at what time.

I hope this helps.

WarDog
01-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Are you sure it's a dedicated circuit off your electrical panel? Sounds to me like something else on the circuit is drawing load at 2 and 5:30PM.
Is the wire being run close to, or touching any other lines in parallel? Electrical fields can have an effect on parallel lines.
Are you using the proper size/type of wire? Oversized or undersized can cause faults.
20A GFI's are designed for use as kitchen counter plugs, do you have a 15A GFI you could change it out with to test?
If all else fails you could try to PM mike31154, he's a Sparky and may be able to help.

reefwithareefer
01-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Look at the graphs on your Apex website, as much as I like Fusion, the original site still has some useful information.
Have a look at the amp graph and see if the draw is high at the times that the GFI kicks out then check what might be coming on at those times. I can check history on the Apex app on my smartphone to see exactly what comes on and shuts off at what time.

I hope this helps.

I have looked and see highs and lows at the time, but the logs do not show anything being turned on or off before it trips. That is the odd part.

reefwithareefer
01-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Are you sure it's a dedicated circuit off your electrical panel? Sounds to me like something else on the circuit is drawing load at 2 and 5:30PM.
Is the wire being run close to, or touching any other lines in parallel? Electrical fields can have an effect on parallel lines.
Are you using the proper size/type of wire? Oversized or undersized can cause faults.
20A GFI's are designed for use as kitchen counter plugs, do you have a 15A GFI you could change it out with to test?
If all else fails you could try to PM mike31154, he's a Sparky and may be able to help.

Positive. I installed them myself.

No parrallel wires, but I doubt that matters, all wires go to a breaker box, which forces them to be in a cluster, does it not.

Installed on a run 20ft long 12/2 wire for each GFI. Nothing special for that

If there is a disturbance on a 20a, will it not be there on a 15a as well.

WarDog
01-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Positive. I installed them myself.

No parrallel wires, but I doubt that matters, all wires go to a breaker box, which forces them to be in a cluster, does it not.

Installed on a run 20ft long 12/2 wire for each GFI. Nothing special for that

If there is a disturbance on a 20a, will it not be there on a 15a as well.

Hmmm, ok, just asking to be sure.
At this point you may want to get in touch with Neptune, just to rule out the possibility of a faulty EB8. Perhaps check out the Neptune forum as well.
Obviously some funny business is going on either with your Apex, your wiring job (which sounds ok) or any other hardware plugged into the GFI.
AC Electrical problems always cuffuddled me, that's why I chose pipefitting.

reefwithareefer
02-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Hmmm, ok, just asking to be sure.
At this point you may want to get in touch with Neptune, just to rule out the possibility of a faulty EB8. Perhaps check out the Neptune forum as well.
Obviously some funny business is going on either with your Apex, your wiring job (which sounds ok) or any other hardware plugged into the GFI.
AC Electrical problems always cuffuddled me, that's why I chose pipefitting.

I appreciate the help and questions. Sometimes the obvious gets missed and when someone points it out, the problem can be fixed. I just do not know what is going on..Frustrating