PDA

View Full Version : test kits

gmann
01-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Red Sea/ Salifert/ ELOS

My mag reading is insanely high no matter how many water changes i do. Im using Kent salt, but anyways which test kit should i get? Currently using red sea, but i think my mag test might have expired.

Biggest pet peeve about elos is that they dont seem to have a reef pack, whereas the others do.

jason604
01-26-2015, 08:33 AM
What's insanely high? I'm using salifert.

daplatapus
01-26-2015, 01:40 PM
Ya, while I like Elos for some stuff (like Ca) I like Saliferts Mg test.

gmann
01-26-2015, 08:55 PM
What's insanely high? I'm using salifert.

1700?

But according to kents parameters they at best hit 1260 when mixing to their specs. I dont do that wait a day stuff so I understand my readings will be off, but did not expect it to be that off. I shall try the salifert since no one seems to stock elose locally.

Thanks everyone

straightrazorguy
01-26-2015, 09:22 PM
I'm using Instant Ocean salt and testing Mg with a Red Sea kit. I always get mag readings above 1550,a nd I never add any Mg. Anyone else have that experience?

Reeferluke
01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I use IO salt this bucket mixes at 1190 mag 390 cal and 9 Dkh I test with all sailfert test kits. But I find IO salt can be all over the place. What the rest of your Params like?

Frynoodle
01-26-2015, 09:38 PM
1700?

But according to kents parameters they at best hit 1260 when mixing to their specs. I dont do that wait a day stuff so I understand my readings will be off, but did not expect it to be that off. I shall try the salifert since no one seems to stock elose locally.

Thanks everyone

R u really sure the way you check the "chart" is correct?
For Red Sea, We should check the the titrant we used, not the titrant (ml) remain Syringes.
I use Kent as well, I always feel the mg always below what they say.

straightrazorguy
01-26-2015, 09:53 PM
For Red Sea, We should check the the titrant we used, not the titrant (ml) remain Syringes.

I know, that's what I've been doing, but I haven't checke the fresh batches of mixed water. The >1500 readings are on tank water...

I will check some mixed saltwater and report back.

Sorry for the hijack....

gmann
01-27-2015, 05:51 AM

yeah, the amount i use surpasses the chart (ends at 1600) so i have to calculate the difference

Slyguy00
01-27-2015, 05:57 AM
1700 isn't insanely high. Its definitely high but nothing I would lose sleep over. I prefer to use the salifert kits as I find they are the most accurate. I use I/O and also find it is all over the place and have to add mg most of the time.

gmann
01-27-2015, 06:01 AM
thanks for the feedback.

thats it, getting a salifert test pack, and going back to IO mixed with RC once this batch of kent is done. I honestly dont see a difference to justify paying the difference when i could buy more corals lol.

Slyguy00
01-27-2015, 06:03 AM
I totally agree. I used to use H2ocean and it cost like 90$ a bucket. It was the worst salt iv ever tried. Instant algae and cyano blooms. Since going back to IO i haven't had any algae issues, and am quite happy with the growth results I'm getting.

donkey77
01-28-2015, 02:34 AM
i agree i was using h2o salt and nothing but problems, now jam using instant ocean reef with no problems , my ca test a little high