PDA

View Full Version : DT + QT + TT ???

smitas5
01-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi guys, appreciate all comments in advance
I currently run 120G reef with sump of 40-50G and like most of us already had some sick fish.... Some treatments went well, some not so well.
In the basement I have a little treatment tank of 30-40G

No does everybody have Treatment Tank and Quarantine Tank separately from DisplayTank, or QT and TT can be one and the same?

Every time I purchase new fish from lfs I place in QT for couple weeks?

When fish get sick, I place her to TT??

I want to get this right and as long as its in the basement, I can go as wild as I want with my tanks there :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

straightrazorguy
01-26-2015, 12:15 AM
It depends on what kind of fish you have and how you plan on treating them, should the need arise. If you get a horrendous Ick or velvet infestation, you may decide to treat all fish outside of the DT and leave it fallow for a while. In that case, can you fit all your fish in one tank? Will they fight in those cramped TT conditions? Will you have fish in anothher QT?

I have 2 33 gal tanks for QT/TT, but I've only ever used one for both QT and TT (I religiously QT and treat all fish preventively). As a result, I've never had any major outbreak in my DT. The other 33 gal is now running with some dead rock I am converting into live rock.

It's a typical case of YMMV...

smitas5
01-26-2015, 06:00 AM
I have couple clowns, trigger, couple wrasses and some cleaner crew... So how do you treat with the rock? Do you take the rock out? Cause holding fish for a month or so without rock is hard thing to do right?

straightrazorguy
01-26-2015, 06:02 AM
I treat in a bare tank, no rock. Do you run a FOWLR? Don't you have corals on the rock?

smitas5
01-26-2015, 06:13 AM
I have live rock and corral in DT.
I was referring to treatment tank... So you have fish in treatment tank while they need medicine and then you move fish to quarantine? I mean keeping fish in treatment bare tank for weeks is hard to control ammonia right?

daplatapus
01-26-2015, 01:39 PM
I have 2 - 20gal tanks I use in addition to my display tank. I've had the greatest success with the tank transfer method for ensuring ich doesn't make it to my display so 2 tanks makes that mandatory. Once I have that done, I can use one of them for treating anything else that crops up.

As for ammonia control(which isn't a problem during the tank transfer method), I always have and Aquaclear sponge filter floating in my sump, so when I do need filtration, I just pop it in and presto - a cycled treatment tank. I also use an ammonia badge in there just to make sure everything is under control.

smitas5
01-27-2015, 11:40 PM
So would cupramine kill live rock or bacteria in filter?

George
01-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Copper may affect your biological filters, live rock, sponge filter etc. In addition to that, live rock and sponge can absorb/release copper making the copper level in the water unstable.
If you use copper, a bare tank is probably the best. Just monitor ammonia and do regular water change, with same level of copper in the fresh water.