PDA

View Full Version : Calling all fish Doc's

Seamonkey
09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
:cry: I have a mature 4ish year old Dogface puffer in my fish only tank that is lethargic and pretty much off food. (very unusual) His fins seem clamped, but breathing is o.k., no signs of ich, or obvious wounds. I came back from being away 2 weeks and he didn't seem right, he always greets me with smiles and rapid swimming and begging for food. He did eat a little on the weekend, but now not at all. I did a 15% water change, as I was about a week overdue on this. It did not help.
The other tank inhabitants are fine. I have a threadfin butterfly, and I know they are usually the "canary in a coalmine" but he's fine. The other tank inhabitants are:
Singapore Angel
bangaii cardinal
2 common clown
Threadfin butterfly
purple basslet

Tank is 90 gallon, been set up for over 4 years.Temp is 80, ph 8.2 , nitrate 20 (which is normal for this tank) All fish have been with me for 2-4 years.
Any idea's??!! Maybe he's old and his time's up... :sad:
Toni

Aquattro
09-14-2004, 12:32 AM
Toni, although I can't tell what's wrong with him, I'm fairly certain puffers are longer lived than 4 years. Maybe it was old when it was caught? With no signs of illness, I can't recommend anything. Maybe someone else here has some better advice...

Seamonkey
09-14-2004, 02:50 AM
Hi Brad,
This puffer was young, cause he was really small, and has grown alot over the 4 years. I did notice something else tonight. Don't laugh, and I don't know if it's possible, but I think he may either be constipated, or have a tapeworm. I think he looks larger in the anal area, rather swollen shaped, and there is definately a tag of something white coming out of the anus. Anyone know if they get worms...

christyf5
09-14-2004, 04:06 AM
How long has it been since you (or someone while you were away) saw him eat?? If it has been awhile the fish could possibly be sloughing off parts of its intestine which come out as a thin white trail that can sometimes look worm-ish. I would doubt that he could develop a problem with worms if you have had him 2+ years. You would have had to introduce it into the tank as a food item.

Christy :)

Bob I
09-14-2004, 04:17 AM
How long has it been since you (or someone while you were away) saw him eat?? If it has been awhile the fish could possibly be sloughing off parts of its intestine which come out as a thin white trail that can sometimes look worm-ish. I would doubt that he could develop a problem with worms if you have had him 2+ years. You would have had to introduce it into the tank as a food item.

I bow to your superior knowledge and education in the field, without being in any way snide. I am just curious as to why a fish would slough off his intestine. :question:

christyf5
09-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Well if a fish hasn't eaten in awhile the digestive system can shut down/slow down and the fishes intestine begins to slough off cells and creates fecal casts which can look like worms. They are commonly seen in spawning salmon that don't eat as they travel upstream. Once the digestive system has shut down its very hard to get a fish to start eating again (not that this is seamonkey's problem).

Seamonkey, do you feed with garlic?? You may try that as a food enhancer.

Seamonkey
09-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Christy, yes I do soak the fish food in garlic drops. I was away quite a bit this summer but always had a housesitter to look after my pets. He may have had a somewhat different schedule and amount of food, probably less than I would give (I always instruct on the smaller amounts of food so the tanks don't get fouled). But from what I was told he was acting his usual piggish self.
The peice that is coming out of his anus is white and shredded looking, about 1/2 inch long. He does move about the tank a little, mostly though he just sits on the bottom lookin kinda sad. :sad:

christyf5
09-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Well I have no experience with pufferfish :neutral: Can they eat bloodworms?? That is usually suggested if a fish is off its food as they are pretty smelly and will usually be more tempting for the fish. Check and make sure they can eat it though.