PDA

View Full Version : Filter feeder questions

Dearth
01-25-2015, 02:47 PM
I have forayed into the world of filter feeders namely a Flame Scallop and I realize that survival rates in the first year are realitively low mostly due to starvation and stress and a short life span. I have done a ton of reading and research before buying a filter feeder but one can never have too much information.

Questions I have

1) for those that have filter feeders is your tank water clean or is it somewhat dirty as in lots of floaters?

2) I have tons of feather dusters and have received mixed information that I have either a healthy system or the water is too dirty. My water has a lot of fine particles in it that float in the water column.

3) do you target feed and if so what do you generally feed your filter feeders? I bought a bottle of Kent Microvert food that everything in my tank seems to go gaga for is it enough?

Any other hints or tricks any information is appreciated good or bad

Craigdillman
01-25-2015, 03:21 PM
I have some black sun corals and Christmas tree rocks and both are dping pretty good so far, I feed reef roids and coral frenzy but I think any food that's similar and has the small fine particles would work. I feed to the tank few times a week and when I do I usally target feed them initally before Turing be flow on to feed the rest of the tank.
My water still looks pretty clear I don't think you need to have consistent "dirty" water as long as your giving tjem the nutrients few times a week they need

I find most the corals love it the sps always have crazy extention after and I think it benifits lots of the LPS too that are hard to feed like wall hammers and ricc mushrooms

daplatapus
01-25-2015, 04:13 PM
I managed to keep 2 flame scallops alive in my tank for a year. I fed the tank heavy but I rarely ever saw them. They are cool when you can actually see them, but it was a rarity. I wouldn't recommend them.

Eyford01
02-02-2015, 01:01 AM
for over 2 years until I sold my old set up I had 2 flame scallops 2 mandarins a rainfords goby and 2 pipefish none of which ate frozen food or anything I added but just lived off what grew in the tank. I had a large HOB filter full of chaeto acting as a refugium and lots of crushed LR in the sump to grow tons of pods but I largely attribute my success to not having a skimmer which takes out a lot of your phytoplankton. My water was never cloudy or full of particulate but I did have to do more water changes and watch my chem levels and feeding more closely but I think it was worth it. Flame scallops like to hide so the trick is to create a recessed area where they will feel safe but you can still look into from a certain angle (a low down, deep, shaded hole) but the extra engineering is worth it, really loved those guys

westreefmang
02-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Ive had my flame scallop for about a year and half i have pretty clean water as in a sps tank i do spot feed him about every 2 weeks sometimes 3 hes seems to have done well only problem ive had is he like to get to back of tank always bringing him back up front lol

jason604
02-02-2015, 02:11 AM
I too have a electric flame scallop but the first night I got him he scrawled behind a rock n attached himself to it at the back of my tank. I have no way of feeding him but he's still alive. I can see his whiskers. Dunno what he's eating but he's eating something. It's been atleast 6months

Dearth
02-02-2015, 02:26 AM
The common mistake I have found in my research of scallops is because they like to hide in rocks and crevices and people want to see their scallop they take it from its hiding spot and put it in the open to better see it in action. This quite often stresses the scallop and will often lead to its early death in their relatively short life span.

Mine is deep in the rocks and seems happy enough if that is where it wants to be do be it as long as it stays fed I'm happy with where it is as I can still see it and as a bonus my pistol shrimp has taken a liking to the scallop and hangs around it a lot now