PDA

View Full Version : corals on plane

riceboy
01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,

I was planning on going to vancouver next month by Air Canada and was just wondering if it was possible to buy frags and bring them with you through customs back to Calgary. Has anyone ever done this before?

reefwars
01-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

I was planning on going to vancouver next month by Air Canada and was just wondering if it was possible to buy frags and bring them with you through customs back to Calgary. Has anyone ever done this before?

there is no customs between provinces , how ever you wont be able to take them on the plane if theres water i dont think , most likely checked baggage:)

hunggi74
01-20-2015, 07:03 PM
I brought corals back to Vancouver from Toronto in my checked luggage. I put mine bubble wrapped in a Tupperware container. All was fine, no casualties.

FishyFishy!
01-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Yes, you should just have to check them. I would do a standard packaging procedure for the flight. Maybe some heat pads etc. Put them in a nice sturdy box or a styro container and you'll be fine.

Misses.ReefWars
01-20-2015, 07:09 PM
You have a limit of up to 100ml for any liquid you take on carry on, not sure about checked in luggage however...goodluck ;)

kien
01-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Like Denny said, you won't actually go through any customs when you travel from Vancouver to Calgary :-) Maybe you meant security screening? That's a bit different. The best thing to do is just check your corals as checked baggage. Either in your suitcase or in a styrofoam box. That's what I did when I was in Toronto last year. I stuffed frags into my suitcase with a heat pack. Oh ya, ask for a heat pack or two from the LFS :-)

lastlight
01-20-2015, 07:37 PM
http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img4/jurassicpark-barbasolcan-dna-full.jpg

sphelps
01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Just have the NSLFS pack everything in a shipping box, then just check it. With fragile items you can usually check through over-sized which will do the screening while you wait and won't get thrown around as much. Realistically that's the best and easiest way to go.

You can also take liquids over 100mL but they have to do a test on it (non-invasive). There's just no guarantee they'll make that exception for you but realistically they should. I do it all the time when I travel with my son as I pack him all kinds of food and drink that exceed the 100mL limit.

TimT
01-20-2015, 08:09 PM
I have had problems trying to check a fish box when flying DeathJet. They want you to send it airfreight.

Something else to consider is that the baggage belts slam the luggage quite hard as they route it to the appropriate destination for loading on the aircraft.

Samw
01-20-2015, 08:32 PM
I've brought back stuff from Hong Kong before in my checked luggage. I had them in a small Styrofoam box inside a cardbox box and cover it with a tied garbage bag for extra leak protection. I put the box in my luggage. All came back in great shape (fish and inverts) including the box. I declared them when I went through customs (which of course you only go through when returning from International flights).

gobytron
01-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Starring Samuel L Jackson...

reefwars
01-20-2015, 09:13 PM
victor....just put a few frags in your pocket no biggie:)

riceboy
01-21-2015, 04:19 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll check in a luggage for some frag when I'm there lol.

lockrookie
01-21-2015, 04:41 AM
You could always do it drug mule style depending on hard or soft corals.... But yeah checking with luggage will work best happy travels

acanthurus
01-21-2015, 04:02 PM
+1 on airport baggage procedures. I work in the bag room and the bags do get hit by high powered pushers and sent down chutes to reach destination. Use precaution when packing them if you check the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderjumper
01-21-2015, 06:53 PM
You could always do it drug mule style depending on hard or soft corals.... But yeah checking with luggage will work best happy travels
OUCH!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-21-2015, 08:58 PM

Female (or male) airport security officer: Cough, cough, cough. "Ummm. Sir. Is that an sps frag strapped to your leg or are you just happy to see me???"

:rofl: :drum:

christyf5
01-21-2015, 09:16 PM
http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img4/jurassicpark-barbasolcan-dna-full.jpg

no need for that, its less than 100ml anyways :wink:

noisetherapy
01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Haha! Christy with post of the week.

noisetherapy
01-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Correction. ... lastlight.

stupid taptalk