PDA

View Full Version : Bivalve Hitchhiker

Cap'n
09-12-2004, 03:23 AM
I found a couple small clam-like bivalves on the live rock I recently purchased (thanks Deb).

They were attached pretty strongly to the rock. I figured they would prefer to be in the sandbed, so I pried them off and placed them at the bottom of the tank. One of them has situated itself with the open part of the shells upwards while the other promptly buried itself in the sand. They are about 3/4 of an inch long with white shells. The farthest I have seen the shell open is about 3mm. They have a dark, maroon to purple interior.

Has anyone had experience with anything similar?
Am I right in putting them in the sand bed?
How long can I expect them to survive?

kuatto
09-12-2004, 05:10 AM
I've got a couple differant kinds,all less than 1 inch.They feed quite regulary and been in the tank for almost a year.The ones on the sand bed will move if they dont like the light.

Cap'n
09-12-2004, 06:31 AM
The ones on the sand bed will move if they dont like the light.

Should I move them from the sandbed? Maybe place them on a piece of rock with more water flow?

They feed quite regulary and been in the tank for almost a year.

How do you tell when they are feeding? What do they feed on?

Beverly
09-12-2004, 01:30 PM
I've had a two inch bivalve for the past few years. It's hard to pry off the rock, so I generally don't move it, though it moves itself to a place where feeding is good.

StirCrazy
09-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I found a couple small clam-like bivalves on the live rock I recently purchased (thanks Deb).

They were attached pretty strongly to the rock.

Am I right in putting them in the sand bed?
How long can I expect them to survive?

if they were attached pretty hard to the rock doesn't that suggest that maybe they want to be on the rock? after all you didn't get them with a bag of sand.

I would put them back on the rock and hope you didn't damage them taking them off, I have a few in my tank that came with my rock that are over 3 years old so the life is there but there is a good chance you damaged them removing them from the rock.

Steve

kuatto
09-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Mine came off when fragging a rock they were on.You'll notice the"tongue"searching for food when its feeding,usually when I feed cyclops or myis.

Cap'n
09-12-2004, 04:24 PM
if they were attached pretty hard to the rock doesn't that suggest that maybe they want to be on the rock? after all you didn't get them with a bag of sand.

Yeah, that's what I thought after moving them. At the time I didn't know they were alive. I thought maybe algae or some encrusting gunk was holding the shells to the rock. After placing them on the sand and noting their movements I figured I should ask for some advice.

Well, they both seem to be moving quite freely, digging in the sand and such, so they don't appear to be damaged. I'll return them to the rock and see if they are happier.

Quinn
09-13-2004, 09:11 PM
I would just leave them, I'm sure they'll find the spot that suits them best. I am suprised their foot wasn't torn when you pulled them off the rock, they must be fairly resilient.