PDA

View Full Version : clownfish in new tank

reef-junkie
01-15-2015, 01:32 AM
I just set my tank up today, added 40lbs of live sand and 20lbs of cured live rock (tank is 30 gal)

My question is Im getting a pair of nice snowflake clowns dumped on me Saturday (owner wants them gone).
Would it be safe to put them in my tank? I plan on using either atm colony or seachem stability to help the process.

reef-keeper
01-15-2015, 02:52 AM
I would put some Bactria culture in at least 24 - 48 hours before putting the fish in. Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria is a good one

edikpok
01-15-2015, 03:34 AM
I would put some Bactria culture in at least 24 - 48 hours before putting the fish in. Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria is a good one
Agreed! I used Seachem's stability before and it did what it claims to do. Alternatively, you can ask your LFS, or a someone with a saltwater tank, for a piece of their sponge - should have plenty of good bacteria in it...

F.H
01-15-2015, 10:47 PM
I would keep some saltwater always mixed, and keep an eye on your ammonia levels. Even though the rock is cured, it might potentially go through a mini cycle. You should be prepared to do water changes should your ammonia levels rise at all.

Having a bottle of amquel or prime around to help in emergencies of high ammonia is never a bad idea either.

gobytron
01-15-2015, 10:58 PM
Clowns are pretty hardy...
You are taking a risk, but what are your other options?

Building a temporary hospital tank and keeping them in there until you're certain your cycle is done?

lpsreefer
01-16-2015, 01:53 AM
Aside from the local fish store you can try skim mate from any one in the area.

reef-junkie
01-18-2015, 11:48 PM
i currently have them placed in an external marina breeder trap. I would love to be able to put them in the new setup asap because theyre pretty crammed at the moment and I wouldn't imagine theyre too happy.
Ive been adding seachem stability now for the past 3 days.

I only want to add them to the new tank if I know there'll be no harm to them. If i were to add them and keep up the dosing would they be at risk?

Ive noticed today that there is a small diatom bloom on the sand bed.