PDA

View Full Version : local marine fish store extremely high kh

PT7455
01-14-2015, 05:09 PM
hi, I am a new user, 5 years saltwater tank experience, still young

the lfs store that I visit every week, I test the store water, the kh in api test kit needs 33 drops to change colour, red sea test kit need 3 time full injection to change color, and I see the ph meter in the store is 8.8 wow!!, and I test the water use my pin point ph meter is also 8.6 high!!!!!

why all marine fishes in this store are looking healthy in such high kh? and high ph? some fish I visit every time still alive and swimming there in a month?
do u think the owner has add something in the water make this so customers keeps coming back, well the price is lot cheaper than other lfs

now the question is, I ask some customers the same questions, their fish die in 3 days or in a week when bring it home, just like me every week, is that kh make those fishes can't live in our home tank in normal water?

kh 10, no3 5/ nh3 0/ pho 0.25/ mag 1200/ ca 340/ sg 1.023/ ph 8.1

all my old fishes in my tank lives 2 years and so healthy and fat, eats like pig,
but all new fish die in few days

all new fish has been slow using drip at least 1 day before add into tank, all old healthy fishes catched and moved in the sump for no fight to stress

DAVE
01-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Alk of 10 would not cause fish death. My guess is the fish were not properly acclimated when they arrived at the fish store.

How recently after they receive fish shipments do you buy?

PT7455
01-14-2015, 08:19 PM
my tank kh is 10

fish store is 33

last week is 62

both api and redsea test kit for fish store water, not mine

so I wonder why fishes still alive in the store?

so do u think drip method whole day 24 hours is not enough? what do suggest?

thx

PT7455
01-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I keep buy in this store many years, but in recent six months all fish not success, same with some customers that I talked to, so u think those fishes form provider has problem? before come to the store?

Animal-Chin
01-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Have you asked the workers in the store if they are aware of this? Maybe they have no idea? I cant think of a reason for them to purposely have alk that high?

reefwars
01-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Have you asked the workers in the store if they are aware of this? Maybe they have no idea? I cant think of a reason for them to purposely have alk that high?

Chances are they are adding ph buffers and not aware of the rise in total alkalinity:)

And yes going from a ph of 8.8 to 8.1 would be hard on a fish if just thrown in but if it's dripped then it would have no affect at all on them , Alk itself has no effect on fish either:)

sphelps
01-14-2015, 09:44 PM
is a dKH of 62 even possible?

PT7455
01-14-2015, 09:58 PM
yes, my api test kit old, so i buy a new pack ( new 2014) and red sea buy in 2014 too

it really takes 62 drops to change color ( old and new kit), i can't believe myself too, but after using 3 different test kit, it's for sure

u know, worker don't tell u anything at all, because all pay cash, all i know is the owner told me once i can pay tomorrow or next time without enough momey, he said that he doesn't wants to hold fish and keep fish for customers

PT7455
01-14-2015, 10:01 PM
oh, i though high kh will kill fishes too, so i am wrong.

reefwars
01-14-2015, 10:36 PM
is a dKH of 62 even possible?

Not at a ph of 8.8 that's for sure:)