PDA

View Full Version : New tank

reef-junkie
01-14-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm setting up a new saltwater tank. I'm going to be purchasing an ro unit in a few weeks. My question is would it hurt my tank a whole lot to use tap water (dechlorinated) for the initial fill up, then ro water from then on?

WarDog
01-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Some will say it's ok, some will say never! Obviously you understand that it's not ideal. Personally I never would.. but I've never had an emergency where I needed X amount of salt water in a jiffy. If you can wait a few more weeks, I'd just wait. In the end, it's up to you.

Welcome to Canreef.

gregzz4
01-14-2015, 02:01 AM
If it were me I'd find out what my tapwater TDS is, and what that TDS contains. You should be able to find a water report online for your area.
Could be lots of unwanted stuff in it such as silicates, aluminum, phosphates, copper etc.
Where I live my tapwater TDS is anywhere from 6 to 12, so I wouldn't worry too much (although I'd never do it). But if your TDS is in the 100s I wouldn't do it.

reef-junkie
01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
I think I'll probably just wait. I know if I use it I'll will probably end up regretting it in the end. Thanks for the input.

FishyFishy!
01-14-2015, 02:03 AM
I would simply use tap water to water test it. After the system is good and water tight, I would hold out until RO water was available to make it salty.

As they say....patience is key to this hobby.

duncangweller
01-14-2015, 02:05 AM
I wouldn't use tap water either. Just hold on, as hard as that can be, because you're going to have to do a whole lot of waiting anyway to have any success in this hobby

Skimmin
01-14-2015, 04:48 AM
This is my own personal experience. I have had numerous saltwater tanks over the last 10 years. Everyone of them ran on dechlorinated tap water (from the rural Edmonton area). Never had a single issue. I filled my newest system with dechlorinated tap water (I live in Banff now so not Edmonton water) but have now started using ro water for all water changes, top off etc... and will continue to do so. If your water is good quality drinking water then I wouldnt worry about it. But thats just me. Im still not sure why Im using an ro unit but it was a good deal (Thanks to Concept for the SMOKIN deal on the Vertex ro/di). The main reason I used tap water in my new system is that it is about 400gallons. My ro/di is a 100gpd unit and would have been a big pita to fill it, and then add sand and rock. Also just wanted to mention that Banff has very hard but very clean water. The water treatment 'plant' here is about the size of a large garden shed or a small single car garage. Tds here is 384 at 6C today. I just tested it. So just tds is not an accurate way to judge whether the water is suitable or not. If your system is a smaller set up and you are planning on using ro/di anyways then fill it with ro/di. Again this is my own experience so Im not looking for someone to tell me how wrong I am. Just giving my two cents.

FishyFishy!
01-14-2015, 04:55 AM
I think it all depends on what you plan on having for a display. SPS tank? FOWLR? Mixed reef?

I think all of us have used tapwater at some point. Yes. It works. Would I do a full blown reef or SPS tank with tapwater? Not a chance. I always found nuissance algae's to be an issue with tap water.