PDA

View Full Version : Loving my new Jebao doser!

halwake
01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
So I have been dosing manually for a month or so trying to keep my Alk, and calcium levels stable for the SPS corals we have added to the tank. This got old real fast and I started looking at dosers. Finally decided to order the jebao doser, mostly because of the four heads and low price point. Got it, downloaded instructions off the internet, (ones that came with it were brutal), calibrated it, and programmed it to dose six times what I had been dosing manually once per day. Second day testing and levels look stable. A doser is sure a nice piece of equip to have for a reef tank. Set it and let it do its thing. Much easier than daily manually dosing. Love it.

aliens172
01-13-2015, 11:29 PM
glad you love it i had my for about one months work great.

ashr
01-13-2015, 11:44 PM
I have a magic marine doser and was thinking about replacing it. Happy to hear this!

Nicole.
01-14-2015, 12:07 AM
I recently got one too and have no complaints. When running, the pump is quite noisy but because it only runs for a few seconds at once, it doesn't bother me.

One of the pumps acts as an ATO although it's not recommended because it wears down the pump..but my tank isn't large so I don't think it's too harmful. It pumps 70ml of FW/hr.

I tried to search for information on how much is too much to pump at once but didn't get any results. Anybody know the answer?

Found this pretty neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ0qNlJpymk

jordsyke
01-14-2015, 02:24 AM
same have had great results with it

iceman86
01-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Ive had mine for about 4-5 months and its probably my best purchase for my tank. Manual dosing sucks!!!!!

rishu_pepper
01-14-2015, 05:27 AM
Where did you purchase it? May have to get myself one in the future.

halwake
01-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Where did you purchase it? May have to get myself one in the future.

Fish street website.

Seriak
01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Problem with fish street is that they have so many other things that are unique that I have to have as well that I never end up spending small amount there. I will have to look into this doser. I love my WP's and the cost can't be beat.

jason604
01-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Problem with fish street is that they have so many other things that are unique that I have to have as well that I never end up spending small amount there. I will have to look into this doser. I love my WP's and the cost can't be beat.

+111111. Fish-street does have a lot of pretty cool and very reasonable things for sale. Their quality is suberb for being chinese products.

reefwithareefer
01-14-2015, 09:15 PM
I saw the dosers and they have a few different ones. All from 85.00 to 140. Not sure what the difference is on them.

Did everyone buy the Jeboa or the NT-.....?

Nicole.
01-14-2015, 09:35 PM
I saw the dosers and they have a few different ones. All from 85.00 to 140. Not sure what the difference is on them.

Did everyone buy the Jeboa or the NT-.....?

The difference is the number of pumps and design. The $85 is an extension that you would connect to another doser to increase the number of pumps. I bought the DP-4.

jordanc_17
01-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Had the doser for probably 3-4 months. First doser I've owned, really like it so far.

reefmandan
01-15-2015, 12:43 AM
I was also considering buying one of these dosers, but I feel the noise would be of concern to me. Has anyone experience these dosers, and others? I was hoping someone could compare the noise of these in relation to say, the BM or BRS dosers?

e46er
01-15-2015, 03:32 AM
I was also considering buying one of these dosers, but I feel the noise would be of concern to me. Has anyone experience these dosers, and others? I was hoping someone could compare the noise of these in relation to say, the BM or BRS dosers?

dosers usually just run for a few sec every few hrs so the noise shouldnt be a problem in the big picture. mine runs for 29 sec every 2 hrs

riceboy
01-15-2015, 04:30 AM
I k Ike mine as well. For 130 it's pretty good so far.

asylumdown
01-16-2015, 04:14 AM
I've been using a profile doser for years. I don't trust the thing anymore as the rate at which my dosing solution seems to empty fluctuates. The LED screen is also half burnt out - bought another one from another reefer that was supposed to be 'like new' and it's screen was even worse!

They're like 400 bucks or something, has anyone here ever used both? How's it compare to the Jabeo?

asylumdown
01-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Like, the units look almost identical. I just don't understand how fish street can sell that unit for 100 bucks? An extra peristaltic pump for my Profilux doser was $100. What am I missing? Is the thing made out of chewing gum?

asylumdown
01-16-2015, 04:32 AM
guys, I just ordered one of these things. I don't understand how this unit is even possible. I don't understand how $2 shipping is possible. I feel like I've fallen through the looking glass and am online shopping in California.

ronau
01-16-2015, 04:51 AM
guys, I just ordered one of these things. I don't understand how this unit is even possible. I don't understand how $2 shipping is possible. I feel like I've fallen through the looking glass and am online shopping in California.

So $102 USD delivered?

That's pretty good. I was gonna suggest getting it from Pets and Ponds for $139.99 CDN but hard to argue against Fish Street's price. I would probably still get it from Pets and Ponds for ease of warranty, any problems I've had with products were handled within 24 hours.

ReEf BoSs
01-16-2015, 05:42 AM

9:14-9:32 that was quick ! sir you have an addiction. Ahaha
Now I'm going to have to research one.

asylumdown
01-28-2015, 04:03 PM
An update - the thing came in like 6 days. Appears to be in perfect working order, and already had the correct date and time programmed in to it (which seems like a fluke to me considering it clearly came from a different time zone).

I'm still baffled by how this is possible considering how much comparable dosers by other brands costs, but I haven't set it up yet so I'll reserve final judgement for when I've been able to play with it for a bit. I'm out of town until Sunday and didn't think adding an unknown element to control something as important as alkalinity to my tank a couple of days before leaving for a week was smart.

jason604
01-28-2015, 07:07 PM
An update - the thing came in like 6 days. Appears to be in perfect working order, and already had the correct date and time programmed in to it (which seems like a fluke to me considering it clearly came from a different time zone).

I'm still baffled by how this is possible considering how much comparable dosers by other brands costs, but I haven't set it up yet so I'll reserve final judgement for when I've been able to play with it for a bit. I'm out of town until Sunday and didn't think adding an unknown element to control something as important as alkalinity to my tank a couple of days before leaving for a week was smart.

Fish-street is able to cut the cost of their products dramatically mainly due to the fact that they get their stock directly from the manufacturer instead of MANY middle men n of course mainly that they r in China. Brand power is very indeed powerful. Think about a Louis Vuitton jacket vs a no name one. Lv can cost U thousands while the other can cost u under $100 n both does its job of keeping u warm(most likely the no name is warmer) but then again fish street does pick quality items to sell n not the usual 1 time use n break China stuff. But ya $2 shipping makes no sense to me ����

GoFish
01-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Just got my DP4 doser 2 days ago. The date and time was set too (but China time) I follwed the calibration instructions and it was already perfectly calibrated.
1ml per sec (well 197secs = 200ml, close enough)
This thing can dose as little as 1ml per month, up to as much as you want. Easy to program, simple to use, and the price?! Money well spent, and saved.

I've never heard another brand of doser run, but the sound is very tolerable.

I bought mine from an eBay seller named "annadebi" for $105us + free shipping arrived in about a week. Even included a Kamoer probe/hose holder for 5 hoses. Hands down the best seller I've ever encountered, tracking numbers, and communication and care above and beyond anything I'd expect from an EBAy seller. Also bought Jebao RW-4 and about to buy RW-8s from her as well.

Seriak
01-28-2015, 08:11 PM
I have ordered from Fish Street many times. Only problem is no warranty. I haven't had any problems yet, but eventually I am sure I will be sent a dud.

George
01-28-2015, 08:35 PM
What products did you buy that didn't have warranty? For example the jebao pumps have 1 year warranty.

I have ordered from Fish Street many times. Only problem is no warranty. I haven't had any problems yet, but eventually I am sure I will be sent a dud.

Seriak
01-28-2015, 08:48 PM
What products did you buy that didn't have warranty? For example the jebao pumps have 1 year warranty.

Are you going to send it back to China?

halwake
01-28-2015, 09:21 PM
I have had a Jebao powerhead from fish street crap out within the warranty period and no questions asked they sent me a new one with the controller for absolutely free. Their warranty program is great. One of their orders they forgot one item and again no questions asked shipped it out immediately from China for free. These guys have been great to deal with for me.

jason604
01-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Are you going to send it back to China?

Still considered warranty even if it's china. Most times all warranty items is sent overseas for fix. As for my JEbeo pump the controller wasn't working n they sent me a new one right away without asking me to return anything. Great service from fish street

Ryancw
01-29-2015, 10:25 PM
Ordering mine today. Was originally going with the kamoer but with all the reviews i've read ill save myself a few bucks

halwake
01-29-2015, 10:56 PM
You'll be happy. Been a few weeks with mine and all levels are stable, just test weekly to be sure. It's great!

Shy_Koi
01-30-2015, 12:38 AM
Appears to be in perfect working order, and already had the correct date and time programmed in to it (which seems like a fluke to me considering it clearly came from a different time zone).

Does this mean the Jebao unit has a battery back up?
We have frequent (short lived) power outages in our rural area, and it's a REAL pain, re-programming everything in the house, after a power failure...
Thanks,
Tamara

mrhasan
01-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Bought quite a few stuffs from Fish Street. Hand's down one of the best customer service I have received in this hobby. Any issue, the guy would send a new one so you don't have to bother shipping the defective item. And their shipping is pretty darn quick considering its shipped from China.

halwake
01-30-2015, 02:14 AM
Does this mean the Jebao unit has a battery back up?
We have frequent (short lived) power outages in our rural area, and it's a REAL pain, re-programming everything in the house, after a power failure...
Thanks,
Tamara

You bet, it does have a battery back up. Have mine programmed and unplugged it for twenty four hours and then plugged it back in. No issues, remembered everything.

Shy_Koi
01-30-2015, 02:28 AM
Thank you for the info, halwake!
Tamara

crimper
01-30-2015, 04:37 AM
I bought this from https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/jebao-dp-4-dosing-pump/ Reef Breeders and will picked it up @ Blaine this weekend. I will keep you posted with my reviews.

I'm excited! :lol:

Ron99
01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
I've had good experiences with fish street in the past. I bought my Jebao RW8s from a Canadian dealer last August and am having a problem with one controller. Feed mode isn't working properly. They want me to ship mine to them then pay for them to ship me a replacement. Not as good warranty service as fish street, that's for sure so I may buy from them in the future.

Seriak
01-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Lol that is hilarious. I just figured that you would have to ship it back to Fish Street if something broke like all Canadian company's policies. If they just ship you another one without any return then there is no reason not to buy from Fish Street.

ronau
01-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Lol that is hilarious. I just figured that you would have to ship it back to Fish Street if something broke like all Canadian company's policies. If they just ship you another one without any return then there is no reason not to buy from Fish Street.

Not all Canadian companies require the defective equipment shipped back. I had a power supply fail and Pets and Ponds had a new one in the mail that day.

Seriak
01-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Not all Canadian companies require the defective equipment shipped back. I had a power supply fail and Pets and Ponds had a new one in the mail that day.

That is true but I don't use them as much since they raised the free shipping to Alberta to 250.00 minimum order.

Ron99
01-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Well Pets and Ponds is who I bought my RW8s from and they want me to pay to send a replacement controller :(

SATELLITE
03-14-2015, 07:21 PM
thinking of getting a Jebao dp-4. just wondering on those who got one after a few months what do you think of them. any problems you run into, what do you like or dislike about it. thanks

GoFish
03-14-2015, 07:32 PM
The minimum dose is 1ml at a time (per month if you want). I have a small tank that consumes 1.5ml of calcium and Alk per day, so I diluted the solution by 50% and dose 3 times a day for each, which equals 1.5ml each... problem solved...

Some vendors sell them with a tubing holder, get one if you can

Over a month of use here and no issues, easy to program, easy to calibrate if needed. Ordered 2 more :)

SATELLITE
03-14-2015, 07:59 PM
do you recommend diluting and dosing more or keep it strong and dose less.
would it be a good idea to mix 2 chemicals into one container and dose..

GoFish
03-15-2015, 02:44 AM
do you recommend diluting and dosing more or keep it strong and dose less.
would it be a good idea to mix 2 chemicals into one container and dose..

If your referring to ALK, cal, or mag then No don't mix them before they go into you tank! These dosers come with 4 pump heads for a reason.

The more stable you can keep the parameters on your tank the better, but if you required 100ml per day for example (of each solution) and dilute by 50% then the pump head will be running twice as long. Split your dose into as many times alternating throughout the day as you like. I'd follow the directions of whatever product you'll use and not bother diluting.
I made that post to show the only problem I've had with this is that my tank and consumption are so small but a simple adjustment was all that was needed to fix the issue.

No complaints about the doser :)

rishu_pepper
03-15-2015, 03:03 AM
Does the doser coming with tubing?

If not, which kind of tubing did people get?

Looking to add one soon.

GoFish
03-15-2015, 03:25 AM
Does the doser coming with tubing?

If not, which kind of tubing did people get?

Looking to add one soon.

No they don't come with tubing but you can get 25ft of silicone Topfin airline tubing from Petsmart for fairly cheap

rishu_pepper
03-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

SATELLITE
03-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. Im going to be ordering one soon.

GoFish
03-15-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the advice. Im going to be ordering one soon.

You're welcome.
If either of you need one I can put you in touch with someone

SATELLITE
03-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I just ordered one an hour ago from fish street. Seems like they had the best price an review. Now on to doing a reef supply order

SATELLITE
03-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I read for the doser you should use silicone tubing. True? What size tubing does it take

GoFish
03-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Silicone tubing correct, 1/8" I.D.

SATELLITE
03-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Sounds good. Thank you

reefy
03-18-2015, 11:26 PM
I bought mine from an eBay seller named "annadebi" for $105us + free shipping arrived in about a week. Even included a Kamoer probe/hose holder for 5 hoses. Hands down the best seller I've ever encountered, tracking numbers, and communication and care above and beyond anything I'd expect from an EBAy seller.

I just ordered mine thru "annadebi" off Ebay for $97.89 usd + free shipping. thanks Vancity for the advise. saved me $18usd if I buy it thru fishstreet :)

GoFish
03-19-2015, 05:12 AM
I just ordered mine thru "annadebi" off Ebay for $97.89 usd + free shipping. thanks Vancity for the advise. saved me $18usd if I buy it thru fishstreet :)

You're welcome, and you got a free probe holder, and a free US plug adaptor which is kinda funny because it already has a U.S. plug, I've told her it isn't needed but she aims to please... And free shipping with a tracking number?! She's a beauty

hondas3000
03-19-2015, 05:54 AM
You're welcome, and you got a free probe holder, and a free US plug adaptor which is kinda funny because it already has a U.S. plug, I've told her it isn't needed but she aims to please... And free shipping with a tracking number?! She's a beauty

I just order from fishstreet last week and it arrive today within 5 days. It does come with probe holder in the box as well and price is only $101.50 USD only. I was surprise how fast it arrive.

GoFish
03-19-2015, 06:13 AM
I just order from fishstreet last week and it arrive today within 5 days. It does come with probe holder in the box as well and price is only $101.50 USD only. I was surprise how fast it arrive.

Free shipping?

hondas3000
03-19-2015, 06:24 AM
Free shipping?

almost free, only cost $1.50USd or $1.05 :) can't remember but either two.

reefy
03-19-2015, 07:08 AM
As for yesterday Mar 19th it was $15usd for shipping.

Wretch
03-19-2015, 07:15 AM

i just got a quote for $1.85 for shipping from fish street.

hondas3000
03-19-2015, 08:44 AM

are we talking on the same site? because this is the site I am ordering and like other mention its only $1.85 shipping.
http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_auto_dosing_pump_dp-4

reefy
03-19-2015, 09:32 AM
are we talking on the same site? because this is the site I am ordering and like other mention its only $1.85 shipping.
http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_auto_dosing_pump_dp-4

my bad, I just double checked. you're right.

SATELLITE
03-25-2015, 12:23 AM
I just got my DP 4 doser in from fish street. Took just over a week. Looks awesome cant complain. Hope to go to petsmart tomorrow to get tubing so i can start playing with it.

SATELLITE
03-25-2015, 04:08 PM
Im going to dose Alk. CAL. MEG. can i dose kalk on my 4th pump or what is another important one. I could i put trace elements and strontium in the same container and dose that.

reefy
03-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,
So pump came this week, I had a problem of back syphoning.I am dosing to my 29 biocube. Pump is sitting inside the upper cabinet shelf 2 feet under the display. Elements on the lower cabinet shelf(floor level) is back syphoning normal? physics is telling me that is normal but should the pump stop the liquid going backwards? I tried submerging the tube and got my carpet wet as a result. I could try mounting the Doser above my display (which I don't really want to) so if anyone experience back syphoning please let me know.

reefy
03-29-2015, 07:46 PM
By the way the back syphoning doesn't happen all the time Lol maybe 40% of the time(which is very annoying because it cause inaccuracy)

GoFish
03-29-2015, 10:43 PM
Hey guys,
So pump came this week, I had a problem of back syphoning.I am dosing to my 29 biocube. Pump is sitting inside the upper cabinet shelf 2 feet under the display. Elements on the lower cabinet shelf(floor level) is back syphoning normal? physics is telling me that is normal but should the pump stop the liquid going backwards? I tried submerging the tube and got my carpet wet as a result. I could try mounting the Doser above my display (which I don't really want to) so if anyone experience back syphoning please let me know.

Don't think they're supposed to be able to back siphon. I think the way peristaltic pumps are designed is so at least 1 or 2 roller wheels should be in contact and compressing the inner tubing at any time preventing siphoning, maybe I'm wrong but will take one apart at home in a bit.
I wouldn't submerge your hoses in the tank, use a holder instead but i guess you've figured that out. Not sure how much head height these are rated for but that may be your issue, if your doser is 2' below the bottom of your tank and the tank is 20' tall then you're trying to push water in the lines up approx 44". There might be info in the manual about that.
I run 2 of these dosers, one of them mounted behind a tank has about 8" of vertical, so not much. And the other tank about 30" of vertical I'd shoot for less head height, your pump heads will last longer and thank you for it

reefy
03-29-2015, 10:44 PM
After several hours of searching for a solution, I found that ppl uses check valve to prevent siphoning, I just ordered:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10109

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

GoFish
03-29-2015, 11:00 PM
After several hours of searching for a solution, I found that ppl uses check valve to prevent siphoning, I just ordered:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10109

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Or you could do that :)

If it's not too late JL carries these valves (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ap-jwapv0)

reefy
03-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Or you could do that :)

If it's not too late JL carries these valves (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ap-jwapv0)

thanks Vancity, too late, I have ordered 4 of them already. I will stop dossing until the check valve arrives.

Wretch
03-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Just ordered the doser and doser tray from fish-street. $126 US to $164 CDN stupid Canadian dollar.

reefy
03-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Haha, actually its USD that is getting stronger

Wretch
04-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Well ordered on Monday looks like it will be here today. Fast Delivery even if it shows up tomorrow.

indreamx
04-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Did u guys order the container as well? Im thinking of going to daiso to find some containers for it..where to find those 1/4" bulkhead n straw?

Wretch
04-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Did u guys order the container as well? Im thinking of going to daiso to find some containers for it..where to find those 1/4" bulkhead n straw?

I am just going to be using 2 litre bottles and I will just use the tubing as my straw.

Willito
11-24-2016, 05:15 PM
It's been about 1.5 year for some who have been using this doser, can you provide an update on how it's working for you? Is it reliable and performing the dosing function it was designed for? Any replacing parts yet?

sobe
11-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Update will be great. I heared horror stories about the jebao dosers breaking and it doesn't break off it breaks as in keeps pumping, dumping all solution in the tank.

I do love their powerhead though very economical/ functional.

Bryan
12-13-2016, 06:17 AM
One thing I noticed when browsing many of the electrical products ie pumps etc. are not North American 120v but 220/240v.

DKoKoMan
12-13-2016, 08:30 AM
So I have been dosing manually for a month or so trying to keep my Alk, and calcium levels stable for the SPS corals we have added to the tank. This got old real fast and I started looking at dosers. Finally decided to order the jebao doser, mostly because of the four heads and low price point. Got it, downloaded instructions off the internet, (ones that came with it were brutal), calibrated it, and programmed it to dose six times what I had been dosing manually once per day. Second day testing and levels look stable. A doser is sure a nice piece of equip to have for a reef tank. Set it and let it do its thing. Much easier than daily manually dosing. Love it.

What solutions are you dosing? I have been considering a dosing pump as I'm getting tired of manually doing it. Hard to keep it consistent with working shift work.

DKoKoMan
12-14-2016, 08:15 PM
Also if I'm dosing 2 part (cal/alk) are you able to turn of the additional 2 pumps so they don't run? Not sure what I would dose with the extra two... maybe mag. The price of this dosing unit is the best value I have come across.

Please let me know as I'm interested in the simplicity of this setup.

ramasule
12-15-2016, 10:59 PM
The pump is cheap because it uses dc motors and not stepper motors. What this means is the unit has no real way of knowing how much it has dosed. It also means it does not have the same torque (starting and holding) that a stepper motor has.

This said I would put one on my qt tank or other small tank, I would not put one on my DT.

DKoKoMan
12-16-2016, 08:20 AM
So this pump is a no go for controllability on the different pump channels? Too bad as the price is outstanding for dosing Cal/Alk/Mag.

ramasule
12-16-2016, 08:26 AM
I never said that??

tang daddy
12-16-2016, 03:36 PM
I think a lot of people are using this doser including myself, for the price I think it's pretty decent and ones on the same level cost Hundreds more.

It's easy to set up and while it may not be super accurate I don't notice the difference, I guess one could retest and calibrate to see how much each of the heads are off but since the initial calibration I personally haven't.

Just set it and perform weekly tests to the big 3. Even if a doser is super accurate I think you have to make changes here and there as the mix you make may not be exact when using dry products unless your are digitally scaling the weight each time you make a mix.

With premixed 2 part it could be a little more accurate but I would still test to make sure.

With that said I've used mine for 5months now as I couldn't keep up with dosing everyday. I use all 4 channels and thinking of getting another 4 to dose some trace and carbon.

Works solid and recommend this doser to anyone on a budget and looking to save money for more corals.

DKoKoMan
12-16-2016, 06:11 PM
I think a lot of people are using this doser including myself, for the price I think it's pretty decent and ones on the same level cost Hundreds more.

It's easy to set up and while it may not be super accurate I don't notice the difference, I guess one could retest and calibrate to see how much each of the heads are off but since the initial calibration I personally haven't.

Just set it and perform weekly tests to the big 3. Even if a doser is super accurate I think you have to make changes here and there as the mix you make may not be exact when using dry products unless your are digitally scaling the weight each time you make a mix.

With premixed 2 part it could be a little more accurate but I would still test to make sure.

With that said I've used mine for 5months now as I couldn't keep up with dosing everyday. I use all 4 channels and thinking of getting another 4 to dose some trace and carbon.

Works solid and recommend this doser to anyone on a budget and looking to save money for more corals.

I'm going to take the plunge on it as the other dozers are considerably more expensive. The only thing I'm wondering is if I have the ability to use 2 of the 4 pump channels and turn the other two off for now. Is this possible? Or do these channels run regardless.

I need an affordable doser as my Christmas purchase list for corals is pretty full :wink:

tang daddy
12-18-2016, 11:47 PM
You can run 2 channels.

DKoKoMan
12-19-2016, 12:49 AM
You can run 2 channels.

Thanks! That's all I wanted to know haha :lol: obviously you can't beat this price compared to other brands!