PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Aquarium Sizes??? Input???

UnderWorldAquatics
09-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Posted this earlier in a forum no one could reply too....

Im smart, "S"M"R"T"

I have been thinking about making some reef friendly tanks in my spare time, I was wondering if you reefers could give me some needed input...

I was thinking of making some moderate sized tanks, sized for nice reef displays, please give any and all input!

What are you thoughts on these sizes?

LengthxDepthxHeight
24x20x20
24x24x20
24x24x24
30x20x20
30x24x24
36x20x20
36x24x20
36x24x24
36x24x30

Also, what style of overflows are prefered?

Would black back tanks be a desirable feature?

All tanks would be constructed of the highest quality cell cast acrylic, with a wall thickness greater than standard store tanks.

I greatly appreciate your input!!!

kuatto
09-11-2004, 02:38 AM
The sizes are good,maybe something in a 48" length as well?
An external overflow cut out in the back wall might be an idea,wouldn't take up space inside.What kind of prices for the sizes list,just ball park figures?Bare tank.

UnderWorldAquatics
09-11-2004, 03:38 AM
I would make the 48" on request.....

I still havent decided what material thickness to go with but I would want them very beefy!

Will be trying to figure out bare tank prices shortly

Any and all suggestions are helpful, would almost completly open tops be of appeal to anyone?

LostMind
09-11-2004, 04:07 AM
I think as open as possible would be good for reefs.

Zerandise
09-11-2004, 05:12 AM
yes open tops are good. both my acrylis tanks, the 55 and the 140, have mostly closed tops. I would LOVE if they were more open.

Richer
09-11-2004, 05:18 AM
I like the sizes that you've posted... width is something I sorely want on my tank. I like the idea of an external overflow and an opened top (well, as opened as possible). I like black backgrounds, but others may not like it as much... so I would leave that as an option. I assume you'll be drilling holes as requested as well?

-Richer

muck
09-11-2004, 05:46 AM
For me I really like a deep tank front to back. I see all the tank sizes you listed are at least 20 inches deep.
I think the 36x24x?? are awesome sizes. My kind of tanks... :mrgreen:

As far as black backs... not sure of that. I know you can get tinted acrylic.
Maybe the bronze or the smoke would be a better choice.
What does everyone else think??

P.S. Are you going to be making these from the "scratchless acrylic" you were talking about awhile back??
If so im very curious as to how scratchless they are?? :biggrin:

kris_willard
09-11-2004, 07:32 AM
I think that something with the dimensions ofa breeder tank would be awesome! Very shallow tanks aregreat for reducing lighting costs. i would like to see a black back as well as black overfloow(s). Open tops are always a plus, and of course a low cost is a must.

kuatto
09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
I remember seeing a picture(on another site)of a tank with no top or bottom bands,looked real sharp :cool: could that be possible or would it take away from the integratey(sp?) of the tank?Maybe rounded corners.

StirCrazy
09-11-2004, 03:34 PM
What happened to the scratch proof acrylic tanks you were getting into?

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Im still getting into them Steve, Im just getting into them more than I anticipated and am looking to build a manufacturing plant for seamless acrylic cylinders, and later to expand to other dimensions and shapes, we will start with making 2', 3' and 4' diameter acrylic tubes out of cast acrylic, and also scratch restiant acrylic....

I have been thinking about making some of the tanks with seamless rounded corners in the front, none of the tanks will have any banding around the top or bottom, I was thinking of making the overflows out of black or smoked acrylic, and the backs I personally like black back tanks unless the tank is used as a double sided room divider, Im not sure why anyone would want to see the cords and any other mess behind their tank/??

These tanks would be made out of high grade cell cast acrylic, but I could look at putting a scratct resistant coating on them....

Dazz
09-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Think about external overflows. They are probably going to be the next big thing IMO. I'm doing one for my Glass 120. I dont mean the HOB kind either.