PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Dosing

Steve...
01-05-2015, 12:37 AM
I started carbon dosing for just over a week now and wanted to see what your feedbacks are with carbon dosing and if there could be an increase in coloration of corals.

jordsyke
01-05-2015, 01:26 AM
I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2

Steve...
01-05-2015, 01:53 AM
What do you mean by "Problems"? Bacteria bloom?

I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2

jordsyke
01-05-2015, 10:00 AM
No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5

Steve...
01-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Yes, Im doing the vinegar right now. Its going to be a lot cheaper too! Thanks for sharing

No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5

jordsyke
01-06-2015, 01:20 AM
I have a 120Gallon that is medium to heavy stocked. I feed heavily and I am only dosing 10ml of vinegar per day. But when I was bringing my nitrates down I was dosing up to 40ml per day, just make sure to cut ur dose down as you see nitrates dropping. I also run GFO to help reduce phosphates

kien
01-06-2015, 04:11 AM
If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.

dcw1sfu
01-06-2015, 04:46 AM
Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.

Steve...
01-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Besides checking testing the water, I guess our glass would be a good indicator right? Im cleaning my glass every two days right now

Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.

Steve...
01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks Kein! Do you do anything else with your tank? Your corals always look great with crazy colours. How often are you changing your water?

If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.

dcw1sfu
01-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Besides checking testing the water, I guess our glass would be a good indicator right? Im cleaning my glass every two days right now

Yeh I was having to clean my glass every couple days as well before running biopellets and getting my nitrates and phosphates close to 0. And at that point I was feeding about half as much. I believe the major improvement in my coral has come from the ability to keep a heavily stocked tank and feed really heavy (lots of fish poop for the corals).