PDA

View Full Version : algae tank what to feed??

billc
10-01-2002, 05:11 AM
setting up a 10 gal tank to grow algae for my tang.. Got the lighting and waterflow covered just wondering about what kind of nutrients I should add.. Damm this is a strange question as I just got done with a 2 month battle with cyno in the 75 and now I want to add nutrients... Just kick me..

Troy F
10-01-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi Bill, is this part of your main tank? If so, I wouldn't add anything right now. The idea would be to have the algae use the nutrients already in your water in order to bind them up so they can be removed. If that's your goal.

stephane
10-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Any regular plant grow for home will fertilize your plant but as Troy said never add this to your main tank

as for the dosage you will have to made experiment the less is the better IMO

billc
10-02-2002, 02:21 AM
Nope it is a totaly separate tank.. Don't want to take a chance of adding any extra food source problems into the Display after my bout with cyno..

Troy F
10-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Hi again Bill, what's the purpose of the algae tank? There are iron supplements out there as well as "Miracle Mud" and "Mineral Mud", both have high concentrations of iron in them.

billc
10-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Mostly the tank is being set up to grow calupara in as food for my tang as the pig loves this stuff.

stephane
10-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Your right troy the plant need iron but they also need nitrate -potassium -and phosphorus all contain in Miracle grow or any home plant fertilizer. iron alone will not be enought IMO