PDA

View Full Version : Sandbed cleaning concerns.

Doug
01-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Every water change I use my large gravel siphon to clean a portion of my sandbed.
I now have a large population of healthy worms, {not bristle} in the bed. Good population of nassarius snails both the smaller ones and several larger Tonga. Plus a healthy algae eating conch. And to boot my nassarius keep breeding but can't tell if I have babies yet or not.
Have a bunch of both blue leg and red leg craps that sort through the sand all day. That is if they are not having one of their union meetings or climbing on my sps.

I know the sand is dirty, as it always fills the bucket with a ton of crap when I clean. I wonder at what stage its good to not over clean or keep up what Im doing.
Should have stayed bare...:lol:

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
I only occasionally stir my sand and let the flow carry it to the sock. I might change out a portion of it after a while, but dirty sand doesn't concern me much in the short term (year or so). My 180 was a beautiful setup, but when I tore it down, the sand was disgusting. This tells me that it can manage itself, acting like a sink for some period of time. I do think replacing every now and then is good, just not sure the time between now and then..

MitchM
01-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I would keep the sand as clean as you can, Doug.
Those crabs will make a meal of whatever they can get their claws on, so whatever is left behind will be detritus.

Reef Pilot
01-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I used to have an orange spot sleeper goby that did a great job of keeping my sand clean. But was not so good for bottom corals as he dumped sand all over them.

Recently I acquired this guy, tigertail cucumber, so will see how he does.
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s540/wklatt/032800x600_zpsdf2f04ae.jpg (http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/wklatt/media/032800x600_zpsdf2f04ae.jpg.html)

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I would keep the sand as clean as you can, Doug.

And therein lies the problem with forums. 1 question, 2 answers from people with successful tanks, and 2 very different answers. Result, Doug still has no idea what to do. :)

Honestly, there is more than one way to skin a cat, or to sand a tank. There are successful tanks with filthy sand, clean sand and no sand. So pick what you're happy doing as a regular chore, and see how that works for you. Easy peasy!!

MitchM
01-03-2015, 05:16 PM
I think we both have the same answer, basically.
How big of a sand bed, how fast detritus builds up, ect. - will eventually lead to the same answer - reduce the detritus buildup. How fast and how often is up to the operator.😊

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
I don't even think there is a right answer. Other than whatever works for you. I'm lazy and try to do as little as possible, so my method works for me. I see tanks with sparkling white sand and wish I wasn't so lazy. But I am :)

I can see no harm coming from cleaning sand, so if that's your thing, clean away. But it does sound like work lol

Doug
01-03-2015, 05:23 PM
I love all the opinions. Thats what I wanted. Been around long enough to sort them out but never been a good sand guy. Thanks all.

My orange spotted sleeper was great, never releasing in the current but staying on the bed. Alas he jumped before my top. I have a yellow head/blue stripped sleeper now and he is an arse. Dumping everywhere. Have trouble keeping my chalice clean.

I started to siphon clean it just to see. The bucket of water was so gross, that I have kept it up, until now. I can reach 3/4 of my bed.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 05:27 PM
I know that water can look bad. I even bought a siphon and hose long enough to run it through my filter sock. I just haven't got there yet. Likely won't. Did I mention I'm lazy?

MitchM
01-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Yeah Brad, but your methods work - water changes, MH and good water flow.
I get bored so I fiddle, always looking for something else.:lol:
Usually leads to trouble.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I have a 4yo, I don't get bored much :) Surprised I can get water changes in actually. Probably because she helps me!!

Reef Pilot
01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
My orange spotted sleeper was great, never releasing in the current but staying on the bed. Alas he jumped before my top.
Yup, have lost 2 of them that way now. And I have covered tanks, but with small open holes at the back of my eurobrace (for a past closed loop system). Couldn't believe it when I found him dried up on top. Thought that was a rare chance event, and then it happened again...

Trying the tigertail as I have been told they are also great at removing algae and detritus under and around rocks that you can't otherwise get to. He has been busy these last few days, leaving his rock turds. But he has his work cut out for him, as I haven't had a goby for a few months now.

MitchM
01-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I have a 4yo, I don't get bored much :) Surprised I can get water changes in actually. Probably because she helps me!!

Lazy plus lucky.http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Detritus buildup is a bad thing. I think we can probably all agree on that.http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Madreefer
01-03-2015, 07:09 PM
I've never cleaned my sand once. I try my hardest to keep my hands out of my tank, the less I fiddle the less problems I have. That seems to be a problem with lots of people. As for detritus, if you have proper flow there should'nt be that much build up.

Doug
01-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Yup, have lost 2 of them that way now. And I have covered tanks, but with small open holes at the back of my eurobrace (for a past closed loop system). Couldn't believe it when I found him dried up on top. Thought that was a rare chance event, and then it happened again...

I suppose if I added another orange spotted, he/she would go at it with the yellow head.

I've never cleaned my sand once. I try my hardest to keep my hands out of my tank, the less I fiddle the less problems I have. That seems to be a problem with lots of people. As for detritus, if you have proper flow there should'nt be that much build up.

Lots of current. Two RW 8,s and an MP10.

Masonjames
01-03-2015, 08:39 PM
The only thing I would suggest to consider is that a sandbed becomes the single largest living organism in the tank. And it will dictate to a large degree how you run the system and/or need to run the system.

Doug
01-03-2015, 10:08 PM
This is a Dr. Ron discussion. On both sides. :D