PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol Problems

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Ok, so I have the opposite problem over most. My MI sits in the corner of the tank, right beside the fish food jar and stares. A lot. If I go near the tank, he goes nuts, trying to swim through the glass. He won't stop eating. Always hungry and I'm worried he might end up like Poofie the pufferfish.

Do they make Herbal Magic for fish? This guy is an eating machine. I feed 5, 6, 7 times a day. He's never satisfied. Should I maybe add a hamster wheel to the tank so he can work out? Plastic of course, the metal ones might rust. I suppose, without little hamster feet, he's not gonna burn many calories with this...hmm

Madreefer
01-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Haha too funny

MitchM
01-03-2015, 03:36 PM
If you have the time and are using high quality food that is fit for a MI, maybe keep feeding him to see how much it takes for him to be satisfied.
I'm not familiar with poofie the pufferfish though.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I bought an autofeeder just for this guy, he's known to nip at SPS when hungry. Which is always.

Poofie is Anthony's puffer :) Another thread....

MitchM
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
What are you feeding him?
It sounds like he's missing something. (Other than sps polyps)

Reef Pilot
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Ok, so I have the opposite problem over most. My MI sits in the corner of the tank, right beside the fish food jar and stares. A lot. If I go near the tank, he goes nuts, trying to swim through the glass. He won't stop eating. Always hungry and I'm worried he might end up like Poofie the pufferfish.

Do they make Herbal Magic for fish? This guy is an eating machine. I feed 5, 6, 7 times a day. He's never satisfied. Should I maybe add a hamster wheel to the tank so he can work out? Plastic of course, the metal ones might rust. I suppose, without little hamster feet, he's not gonna burn many calories with this...hmm
Haha,... you should put an end piece of pvc pipe on the side of the glass with the fish food jar next to it. Maybe he could replace one of your pumps... lol.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 03:58 PM
What are you feeding him?
It sounds like he's missing something. (Other than sps polyps)

He gets pellets, mysis and nori daily. Lots of it. And no ribs showing on this fish, I don't think he's missing anything. Just likes to eat. Actually, all the fish are almost as bad. This guy is just particularly "moochy"

MitchM
01-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I wonder if his constant begging for food could be causing him stress, which could of course lead to being susceptible to disease.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 04:09 PM
I don't think so, he's been like this for a year. Mostly happy, grazing around. His current tank is beside the kitchen table and I get to sit and watch him while I work, and he's fine. But if he sees me moving and potentially getting food, he lights up. Almost smiles.

Proteus
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM
A good problem to have I suppose..i have a couple fish that will bite me when they are hungry.

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Ya, but let's not forget, they're still finicky fish. Can do well for a year, 2, then bam, die overnight. This guy has been around for a year now, hopefully he's with me many more.

Proteus
01-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Absolutely.. Imo I'll try once. But if it's demise was out of my control I won't chance again

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Honestly, I probably wouldn't even try if I hadn't known this fish for a year. It came from the display at my LFS when it shut down. It's like an Achilles, beautiful fish, but most of them die sooner than later. I wouldn't buy one unless it came from an established tank.