PDA

View Full Version : Am I right about what this is?

The Guy
01-03-2015, 12:52 AM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_4/Caulerpa_racemosa_WA.jpg
I'm pretty sure it's Caulerpa Racemosa or commonly called grapeweed, I have it growing in my refugium along with cheato and loaded with 1000's of copods and amphipods, so I have a very well fed Scooter blenny in my 33 gallon tank.
It grows like wild fire and mixes into the cheato, but does not seem to hamper growth of either. :noidea:

smokinreefer
01-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Grape caulerpra.

Make sure you can keep it under control.

It can be a horrible thing if not kept in check,

Or starts to grow in your Display!

gregzz4
01-03-2015, 02:09 AM
I agree, if that's what you have, that you need to keep it with caution, or just get rid of it without bursting any of it
If it goes sexual you'll have a nasty mess :surprise:

The Guy
01-03-2015, 07:37 AM
After reading about this stuff sounds like I should be weeding it out before it takes over.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-03-2015, 07:42 AM
If you consistently harvest some out, it shouldn't go sexual. It's usually when people leave it for a long time without harvesting that it goes sexual. And if you have a tang in the display, it'll eat it all up before the caulerpa gets a chance to establish itself.

The Guy
01-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Hey Anthony I think you and I talked about this stuff once before, I remember you mentioning that the tangs like to eat it. So I guess I could elastic a clump of harvested pieces together for a Tang snack eh? :noidea:

Aquattro
01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
None of my tangs ever ate that stuff. I'd harvest and move to the trash :)

smokinreefer
01-03-2015, 06:43 PM
I used to elastic clumps of it to a rock for my tangs to eat.

But honestly, it can be a real pain if it starts growing in your display.

Having said that, I will hopefully never see that stuff again!

My advice is, get rid of it. There are way less invasive stuff you can grow for your tangs to eat.

The Guy
01-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Ya maybe I just stick to Nori for the Tangs, plus there's that chance of a piece coming loose from the bundle and growing in the DT.
Thanks for all the input everyone.