PDA

View Full Version : new tank up and running

letstry1980
01-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Well its finally up and going through its cycle added some fish and boom two days later I feel like puking when I look at my tank this looks horrible I understand this always happens to new tanks just wanted to vent

JmeJReefer
01-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Its an algae bloom. Cycle isn't done yet. the Cycle should take at minimum, 4-6 weeks and 8 to be safe.

Take ur time....this hobby has Hair pulling profanity invoking qualities for sure, but patience and steady maintenance win the day!......

Good luck!!

letstry1980
01-03-2015, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the reply :) is having a Aiptasia outbreak
Part of the deal as well ? I was going to buy a file fish today

WarDog
01-03-2015, 01:26 AM
How long has it been running?
What are your params?

letstry1980
01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
the tank was running with just live rock for about 2 weeks with some Aiptasia and added fish 4days ago now with this bloom it's everywhere I heard if you boil some water and put it in a syringe is the easiest way to kill them

gregzz4
01-03-2015, 01:46 AM
Definitely deal with the aiptasia the sooner the better, but don't fret it. You've only just begun your journey. Always remember to take your time with everything your tank does, unless there's a life-threatening fish disease

Let it cycle, try killing the pest nems with boiling water or better lemon juice injected directly into their mouths (but only during your tank's daylight hours to avoid daughter cells being released)
If that doesn't work; make sure you have no ammonia and low nitrates, then get a couple peppermint shrimps. They're hungry little guys. And make sure they are true peppermints Lysmata wurdemanni and not camel shrimps Rhynchocinetes durbanensis

saltdog
01-24-2015, 04:05 AM
+1 on the peppermint shrimps....they ate up all the aiptasia in my first tank:lol:

letstry1980
01-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Mine too

reef-keeper
01-26-2015, 03:02 PM
I would also add some bacteria to the tank. It will help with the algae blooms. Something like Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria

d33ps3a
01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Buy some big Mexican turbo snails. I bought ten for my tank and they cleaned all rocks of algae after cycling within a week. Those things devoured the stuff.

saltdog
02-07-2015, 02:18 AM
I would also add some bacteria to the tank. It will help with the algae blooms. Something like Dr. Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria

+1 for Dr. Tims...amazing stuff that really works...if you can find it

warriorcookie
02-07-2015, 02:37 AM
Never tried Dr. Tims, but Prodibio is the one that gets my money!

Myka
02-07-2015, 02:51 AM
the tank was running with just live rock for about 2 weeks with some Aiptasia and added fish 4days ago now with this bloom it's everywhere

What did you test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate at before you added the fish?

That's just diatoms, but it's a lot of diatoms. A turkey baster will blow some of it off so it can be filtered out. Turkey basting the rocks every day or two for the first couple months will really help a new tank in dealing with nutrients and balancing itself out.

If that doesn't work; make sure you have no ammonia and low nitrates, then get a couple peppermint shrimps. They're hungry little guys. And make sure they are true peppermints Lysmata wurdemanni and not camel shrimps Rhynchocinetes durbanensis

Some Peppermints are quite good at eating Aiptasia, but most that do eat Aiptasia will only eat the smaller Aiptasia. Lysmata wurdemanni is actually not very common, most Peppermint shrimp are actually Lysmata boggessi which are not as food-aggressive (Aiptasia-wise or otherwise), but many will also do a good job. However, not all Peppermint Shrimp of any species are a guarantee. It's certainly a good place to start though. :)