PDA

View Full Version : Rock curing and water testing

Easto
01-02-2015, 02:02 PM
I plan on doing a bleach then acid bath on my dry pukani. From there I am tossing it in a rubbermaid container to cure. I don't plan on getting my tank stocked with fish until I get home from vacation in March. I just don't want to deal with an automatic feeder right now.

How necessary is it to test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, etc?

From what I understand people test to see when the rock is done cycling which takes a few weeks.

If I am planning on curing for 2 months, is there a necessity to test during those 2 months?

Is there a single test I can do when I'm ready to aqua scape to ensure the rock is cured? I assume by this time the ammonia spike will be long gone.

Skimmin
01-02-2015, 04:02 PM
I tested out of curosity. I didnt bleach or acid my pukani. Took about 4 weeks to see the nitrogen cycle take place. I tested weekly and seen the ammonia spike then nitrite then nitrate. Week three to four ammonia came down, then nitrite, then nitrate all to 0. This was all done following Eli's instructions. Just speak to elEli if you have any concerns but I wouldnt worry about testing until you come back from your holiday.