PDA

View Full Version : Astreas

Aquattro
09-10-2004, 01:49 AM
I need about 5 astrea snails to test some algae I have. Anyone in town want to sell, rent, loan or trade me some? I can pick up any night. :biggrin:

Aquattro
09-11-2004, 03:25 AM
100 views and nobody has any snails to sell me?? Really??

EmilyB
09-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Jeez Brad......you cheap old fart.... :razz: :lol:

Aquattro
09-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Em, I had about 25 astreas, but they all died from eating dinos. The algae I have now is different, and the sole remaining astrea is mowing through it like crazy. If I can verify (with the 5 I'm after here) that ALL astreas will eat this stuff, I'll order 100 from J&L. :biggrin:

christyf5
09-11-2004, 03:56 AM
got any pics of this mystery algae??

Christy :)

Aquattro
09-11-2004, 04:01 AM

No, but it's brown, covered in air bubbles and sorta stringy yet fuzzy. This one little astrea is going nuts, but there's only so much it can do alone. I'm jsut scared to add a bunch and have them die like the others.
I added 1 turbo last month and it died in three days. The margaritas I added didn't do much better.

christyf5
09-11-2004, 04:09 AM

No, but it's brown, covered in air bubbles and sorta stringy yet fuzzy. This one little astrea is going nuts, but there's only so much it can do alone. I'm jsut scared to add a bunch and have them die like the others.
I added 1 turbo last month and it died in three days. The margaritas I added didn't do much better.

Weird. That sounds like dinos to me. Maybe you have an ultra resistant astrea?? I had one turbo survive the whole outbreak (3 months) and he is all over the map cleaning up now. I still have a few bits of bubbly crap that sounds like the same stuff you have (minus the stringy), and I'm a bit hesitant to throw a new cleanup crew in there as well.

BTW I thought margaritas were a colder water snail anyways. I never had any success with them, waste of money IMO.

Christy :)

Aquattro
09-11-2004, 04:18 AM
Christy, I'l post some pics in the pics forum...

StirCrazy
09-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I might be able to lend you some astreas, but I need them back when your done.. alive :mrgreen:

Steve

Aquattro
09-11-2004, 04:12 PM
but I need them back when your done.. alive :mrgreen:

Steve

Sorry, can't gaurantee that, but I'll replace them with brand new ones if they go to the big sleep!

StirCrazy
09-11-2004, 04:17 PM
sounds good.

Steve