PDA

View Full Version : Lights Failing, recommendations pls.

Cody
12-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I have a 72" 3 in 1 AquaticLife fixture. It's been the only fixture I've used since getting into corals. Before I had LED fixtures. The AquaticLife fixture is failing me from time to time, seems to be a controller issue, although I have changed it out. I am really thinking hard about going to LED again. I just love the added pop it gives a tank. I am just really nervous about keeping corals under LEDs. Can any experienced reefers please give me recommendations on LED lights.

Corals I currently have:

hammer, galaxy, torch, frogspawn, Open Brain, Monti, SPS frags, Zoas.

I really want to get more SPS and Zoas

Cheers.

Skimmer Juice
12-29-2014, 10:11 PM
I would recommend going kessil a360 IMO they give the best natural shimmer and all my corals seem to love it . Mind you I keep no sps. Also have a maxspect razor on my other tank I like the fixture but compared to a kessil it does not look as good. It has some disco ball effect where the kessil has 0 . Or if you want to ball out get a ati hybrid or a vertex led

Fishy!
12-30-2014, 02:22 AM
Tagging along

ponokareefer
12-30-2014, 02:35 AM
I would recommend going kessil a360 IMO they give the best natural shimmer and all my corals seem to love it . Mind you I keep no sps. Also have a maxspect razor on my other tank I like the fixture but compared to a kessil it does not look as good. It has some disco ball effect where the kessil has 0 . Or if you want to ball out get a ati hybrid or a vertex led

I would have went with Kessil 360's for my upgrade if I didn't already have 2 Radion's from my old system. All the research I did said Kessil 360's were one of the best LED's for the dollars spent. I do love my Radion's, but they hit the pocket book pretty hard.

I did supplement my Radions with T5 lighting as well. The ATI hybrid's seem like the best light out there, but very expensive. A mixture of LED's and T5's seems to be the best lighting now from what I researched. I love the mixture on my tank. Only time will tell if it works out though.

Coral Hoarder
12-30-2014, 05:46 AM
If your looking to keep both Lps and sps I'd say go with the kessil unless your willing to fork out more Monny

Cheep LEDs seem to bleach Lps and grow brown sps :(

Cody
12-30-2014, 02:57 PM
If I am willing to roll out more money, what would you recommend? I'm leaning towards Kessil at this point. For a 72" am I looking at a situation where I need 3 of the Tuna Sun fixtures and 3 of the Tuna Blues, or do they both have day/night modes? Also I assume there is the N (narrow) and W (wide) models, which is best for a 24" deep tank?

Cody
12-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Wow, looking at $4500 for the vertex! Ouch. K, I think they are out. :drool:

Aquattro
12-30-2014, 03:40 PM
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/ATI-Sunpower-T5-8x80W-60.html

Then you can buy lots of SPS too :)

Cody
12-30-2014, 04:06 PM
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/ATI-Sunpower-T5-8x80W-60.html

Then you can buy lots of SPS too :)

I really like the price point of that fixture. I've been underwhelmed by the way my AquaticLife fixture lights my tank, but I certainly get strong coral growth. I guess considering the price, hopefully more reliable than my current fixture, and if I get the same coral growth then I can sacrifice the shimmer/'pop' of LED lighting.

Skimmer Juice
12-30-2014, 04:09 PM
If I am willing to roll out more money, what would you recommend? I'm leaning towards Kessil at this point. For a 72" am I looking at a situation where I need 3 of the Tuna Sun fixtures and 3 of the Tuna Blues, or do they both have day/night modes? Also I assume there is the N (narrow) and W (wide) models, which is best for a 24" deep tank?

for 72x 24 I would do 4 x a360n (narrow) tuna blue. You can adjust the white/blue channels separately . Narrow is better for a deeper tank.

ponokareefer
12-30-2014, 08:33 PM
I really like the price point of that fixture. I've been underwhelmed by the way my AquaticLife fixture lights my tank, but I certainly get strong coral growth. I guess considering the price, hopefully more reliable than my current fixture, and if I get the same coral growth then I can sacrifice the shimmer/'pop' of LED lighting.

The shimmer is why I went with LED's. Depending on your canopy/top, you could try the 4 bulb 60 inch ATI T5 fixture with maybe 3 Kessil's. Would start to get fairly expensive that way though.