PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Questions

silvercharm
12-28-2014, 05:50 AM
Now that I am getting closer to getting my first reef tank set up I am starting to plan stocking options and I am looking for suggestions. The tank I have is a 4' 75 gallon w/ a 40 gallon sump. I'm currently fixing it up right now but I should have it ready to start cycling soon :)
Anyway these are some of the fish I was looking at having:
Foxface (One spot foxface may be my only option, but I love the look of the magnificent foxface)
A pair of clownfish

I'd love to have a small tang but thinking my tank may be too small.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I like colourful fish and/or fish with interesting behaviours. Since I'm pretty new to this I don't know what can go together or what is a good stocking limit. Thanks!

Aquattro
12-28-2014, 05:53 AM
there are thousands of combinations possible, so best to list off what you like and get advice on that. Look through J&L fish page or some other site that sells fish. See what you like, look up requirements, and then post what you've come up with.

silvercharm
12-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Ok So I went through and picked out some fish I like. I'm not going to have room for all of these of course, but these are what I was interested in. From here can I get some tips as to what will work well together and what is a good number to keep?
Here is the list of fish I liked:

Pair Clownfish (Ocellaris or Percula)
Midas Blenny
Banggai Cardinal
Orange Spot Sleeper Goby
Tomini Tang
Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface
Magnificent Foxface
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse

Not sure which ones will work together and how many I can keep in my size of tank. I want them to be happy because once home I will consider them pets lol The only fish on this list that are "must haves" for me are the pair of clownfish and a foxface of some type if possible!

htfn
12-28-2014, 06:49 AM
there are thousands of combinations possible, so best to list off what you like and get advice on that. Look through J&L fish page or some other site that sells fish. See what you like, look up requirements, and then post what you've come up with.

I always look at this web about new fish I want.
http://www.liveaquaria.com

silvercharm
12-28-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks! Liveaquaria rules out the magnificent foxface as it recommends 120 gallons for tank size. But looks like I could get a One Spot Foxface. Very helpful thank you!
That's a good site for figuring minimum tank sizes, but I'm still confused as to how many and what combinations are suitable.

Myka
12-28-2014, 02:34 PM
The fish you listed above would all get along with each other with the exception of the Tangs and Foxfaces (MAX one of each in a tank that size), and the Mystery Wrasse might be a jerk. Personally, I wouldn't put any Tangs or Foxfaces in a 75-gallon tank as they create more waste than is easily exported, but that's your prerogative.

Reef Pilot
12-28-2014, 03:11 PM
The Kole and Tomini are smaller tangs, so should be OK in a 75g. I have both of these, and they are excellent algae eaters. The Kole is particularly good as they are tireless workers.

The Foxface may outgrow your tank size. I have one, too, and the darn thing grew to about 6 inches, and is a real pig for food (and big pooper, too). Nice looking fish, though.

Dearth
12-29-2014, 02:33 AM
I make it a habit to put a yellow coris wrasse whenever I can they are great at keeping your rocks and corals clean of pests like flatworms and certain bugs but the downside to this wrasse like all wrasses they like to jump

CM125
12-29-2014, 03:33 PM
We cant seem to keep wrasses, they all seem to carpet surf eventually... :(

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-29-2014, 06:38 PM
So your wishlist is:

Pair Clownfish (Ocellaris or Percula)
Midas Blenny
Banggai Cardinal
Orange Spot Sleeper Goby
Tomini Tang
Kole Tang
One Spot Foxface
Magnificent Foxface
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse

As mentioned by others, 2 tangs that are very similar in shape/size may be an issue in a 4' 75g.

The One Spot & Magnificent Foxfaces will definitely outgrow that tank & pretty quickly too (grow fast, eat lots, pollutes lots).

Flasher, Mystery & Blue Sided Wrasses are all notorious carpet surfers. You will need to add a glass top or clear mesh top with NO holes or gaps to keep these. I also find the Blue Sided to be bullies and chase other flashers & fairies out of the tank.

Have had much better success with yellow canary wrasses as a long-term wrasse resident.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

Flash
12-29-2014, 06:50 PM
i would say one smaller tang, no fox faces, and careful on the mystery... i know it's fish by fish basis, but the last two i had were complete jerks. so much so I tore down one of my tanks to get the dang fish out and it has lived in my sump ever since.

Carpet surfing with wrasses is the norm... a screen or lid will be needed for sure! also look at other fairy wrasses, solar wrasse, tri-color wrasse ect!

with the cardinal, look at getting at least 2 of them, no more then 4!

silvercharm
12-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks! Lots of interesting ideas and things I hadn't though of before. Why do some say ok to a small tang (kole or tomini) but no to the One Spot Foxface? Just curious as according to the internet anyway they are supposed to mature at around the same size. What is it about the foxface that makes it different? Thanks for the insight, its all been really interesting and informative so far.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Kole & Tomini tangs tend to grow slowly and stay much smaller than the listed max. size. Most Koles & Tominis I have seen never grow much more than 3 or 4", even if the max. is 6".

Foxfaces & other rabbitfish grow much faster and will outgrow your tank literally in just months. They also eat & poop more compared to a Kole or Tomini. The One Spot has a listed max. of 7" but finding 6" adults is quite common. The Magnificent Foxface has a listed max. of 9" and most of the ones I've seen in people's tanks are between 7-9".

If you were to compare someone's Kole and Foxface after say 3 years, the Foxface would likely be 2 or 3 times the size/mass of the Kole. And a more voracious feeder. In its native waters, rabbitfish are considered "food fish", whereas Koles and Tominis are among the smallest tangs and less likely to be considered food for the native peoples, when they can have a more substantial meal with any other tang or rabbitfish.

Also, the Foxface has "poisonous" spines on its dorsal fin and can gash your hand quite easily, leaving you with a painful wound. Something else to consider when deciding your fish stock.

My rabbitfish will rip the entire nori sheet off the clip and swim around the tank eating its' "snack".

Anthony

Myka
12-30-2014, 01:58 AM
Why do some say ok to a small tang (kole or tomini) but no to the One Spot Foxface?

Kole & Tomini tangs tend to grow slowly and stay much smaller than the listed max. size. Most Koles & Tominis I have seen never grow much more than 3 or 4", even if the max. is 6".

Foxfaces & other rabbitfish grow much faster and will outgrow your tank literally in just months. They also eat & poop more compared to a Kole or Tomini. The One Spot has a listed max. of 7" but finding 6" adults is quite common. The Magnificent Foxface has a listed max. of 9" and most of the ones I've seen in people's tanks are between 7-9".

Anthony

Agreed.

silvercharm
12-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks everyone. This has really helped point me in the right direction and I'll take all your advice to heart!