PDA

View Full Version : pajama cardinal

FishGeek
10-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Does anybody know anything about these guys? Are they very similar to Banggai? I picked up a couple today for a great price. They were too cute to pass up. Now before I get a bunch of replys about how careless I am and how I should do some research before buying, I know that they are very hardy fish. I just would like to know some specifics like breeding, schooling numbers, and max size! If these guys do good, I would like to get a few more and have a small school of them! Also I found an Emperor Angel in the middle of morphing. About 5in long and looking very healthy with brilliant colors. I already have an emporer juv. and I thought it would be cool to see a large morphing emporer and juv. in the same tank!(Maybe fish love at first site) The only reason I did not buy him is that he was wild caught at this size and am afraid he will eat my corals! What do you people think? Go for it?

Simon

Canadian
10-01-2002, 09:27 PM
No, I don't think putting two Angels of the same genus in the same tank is a good idea. Generally speaking, you should avoid having Angels of the same genus in the same tank whether they be Holacanthus, Paracanthus, Genicanthus, etc. For that matter, you should also try to ensure that Angels of differing genuses also have dissimilar shapes and coloration.

While the Angels may get along without any major conflicts due to their differing stages of development, you have to keep in mind that the juvenile will presumably attain adult size and coloration, and then you'll have to remove one of them. I suppose if you have another aquarium ready to house an adult Angel that would be acceptable, but otherwise it becomes an issue of "disposable/trade-in" fish.

AJ_77
10-02-2002, 02:23 AM
Simon, I've got to agree with Canadian. Yes they are super-cool fish (had one years ago), but in time your juvenile will be the morphing sub-adult you want to see, and then the spectacular adult that you'll hopefully have for years. It's a great challenge to get one of those to grow up.

Don't screw that up with an impulse purchase. TRY TO FIGHT IT!! :D Just my 2 cents. ;)

AJ

[ 01 October 2002, 22:24: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

EmilyB
10-02-2002, 03:05 AM
I think the pyjama cardinal is the ugliest fish I have ever seen, except maybe for those squirrel fish with the buggy eyes. JMO. :rolleyes:

FishGeek
10-03-2002, 01:06 AM
I really don't learn do I? I tell myself every single time I loose a fish from this LFS that I'm never buying from them again! :mad: BUt no. I'm stupid! Just lost one of the pajamas today! Last nite they both seemed fine but this morning, one was cowering in the bottom corner with reddened dorsal fin and heavy breathing. And when I got home tonite, it was up against the eggcrate on the overflow! Atleast the other seems to be doing fine! :( And don't worry people. I'm not buying the angel! It just looked so nice in the holding tank! I know everyone of you people here have done that.. Saw a fish you really wanted but knew you couldn't have! Oh well that's all part of the hobby I guess!

Simon

GinKu
10-03-2002, 02:48 AM
what LFS did u get it from?

FishGeek
10-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Ginku
All I'm going to say is that it is on the north side! I don't want to mention any names so that I don't get in trouble! You go to NAIT? So do I! What program are you in?

Simon