PDA

View Full Version : ultrasonic sound waves

vjvl51
10-02-2002, 09:31 AM
We have a couple of ultrasonic level sensors that we were planning on using on the tank and on the sump. These senors use ultrasonic sound waves to detect water levels, so nothing would actually be in the salt water. If the levels changed drastically, the power to the pumps would be turned off and an alarm sound, hopefully preventing overflows. My question is, does anyone know if the ultrasonic waves would have any effect on corals/fish/livestock?

Thanks

Vickie

reefburnaby
10-02-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi,

It would probably work and I don't think the fish can sense if the amplitude of the sensor is not very high. I have work with those sensors in the past, but I have found that the diaghram will oxidize when placed near saltwater. So, the ultrasonic sensor slowly degrades over time. Think saltspray on lights...the same thing can happen to the tranceivers.

Sounds cool...I had to build one as a course project back in the good old days.

- Victor.

StirCrazy
10-02-2002, 09:02 PM
I always wanted to put one of thoes ultrasonic foggers in my tank to see how it would look with fog billowing over the side.. then I thought of the salt creep :rolleyes:

Steve

Delphinus
10-03-2002, 01:07 AM
In a saltwater aquarium? :eek: Why, that's just Stir Crazy, I tell you... ;)

I couldn't get a decent lifespan of those things in freshwater (using tap water) for my fog forest terrariums ... worked awesome -- the orchids loved it, but I thought it was way too frustrating to replace those every 2-3 months at $90 a pop.

StirCrazy
10-03-2002, 01:26 AM
realy that low of a life time? hmm I was going to get one for a table thing.. they are 50.00 here just for the unit.. is that because of the hardness of your water?

Steve

Delphinus
10-03-2002, 09:20 AM
I have no idea, but do kinda suspect that it could be that. I want to try one again, using only RO water this time. $50 is a decent deal.

vjvl51
10-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess we'll try it and mount the sensor as far away from the water surface as is practical. This should extend the life of the unit.

Thanks

Vickie