PDA

View Full Version : Victoria LFS for sale

GrimReefer
12-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Blue World Aquariums in Victoria is for sale. This is a great opportunity for a hobbyist who wants to take it to the next level. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Aquattro
12-19-2014, 09:21 PM
All items for sale must include a price :)

ponokareefer
12-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Agreed :razz:

:BIG:

apexifd
12-19-2014, 09:38 PM
so… which category should this be under?? livestock or equipment?

mod.. please move to correct section

KevinK
12-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Less than 5 years ago, blue world started as a bould idear of hobyists,

In the 5 years thy wiped out 2 of the 3 Local fish stoors on the island that have reef stuf.

Some hobyists prefer not to shop there, as less is offered on the island as they wiping out 2 competitors resulting in prices going up.

Now after wiping out 2 ( progressive reef and safari pets) leaving not much choise for hobbyists, thy are exploring to walk out.

Offering the store to other hobyists to pick up the mayhem.

I might be critesised to put it this way, but having the right to express myselve, i find this kind of practise verry, verry concerning.

Wiping out easteablisht stores, and then walking out

Aquattro
12-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Wiping out easteablisht stores, and then walking out

And, you have no idea what you're talking about -lol

Progressive was an over ambitious attempt to take a market that doesn't exist here. It was left to the care of a manager that didn't know much about business and had an absentee owner.

Safari had their lease come up at a huge increase, so owner decided that after 20 years, he wasn't into signing up for another 5 and retired.

Spencer's ambitions lie elsewhere, so he is aligning his priorities in that direction.

Nobody wiped out anyone. There is no secret agenda or underhanded practice going on. Just an adjustment in the current local market.

KevinK
12-21-2014, 02:34 PM
I merly put out that sinds thy started 2 caved, nothing more, nothing less

If the maret was there, a increas in leas should normaly not be such a bit of a proublem, or relocate, but if a market has been created that is harsh, and hard to com by, than a increase in lease becomes a proublem, i understand

That spencers abbitions are ells where, that could very well be, but than why start someting.

On the end, first we had 3 stores, and now gust one, and many go to vancouver, becouse a tiny damsel cost already $ 12 or a 3 inch naso $125

Be it nececerry or not to have these prices, it makes the hobby hard to come by with a local shop, and thus hard to survive when many locals go elswere to get there stuff

And befor you say, i.m not alone in this

Lets leave it what it is, i expressed my opinion, and so did you

Reef_Geek
12-21-2014, 03:02 PM
I would love to see the math behind this exercise.

Methods of small business valuation:
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/sellingabusiness/a/bizvaluation.htm

Reef Pilot
12-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Small LFS is a tough, tough business..., no volume, hard to maintain a decent margin, can be expensive overhead, and lots of work (cleaning tanks, etc). Anyone that can stay in business for any length of time has my utmost respect.

Reef_Geek
12-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Agreed. I grew up in a family aquarium business. Each sale's contribution margins are good, variable costs are manageable, but the problem is the labor + overhead. I think folks can be surprised that the mark up on livestock can be 5x to 3x the cost, but it's the overhead of utilities, labor effort, lease & property etc that is not apparent. If there's not enough volume of sales/transactions, the overhead is not spread out enough on a per sale basis to keep each sale in the black.

In a city of about 80K people, it would be a very small niche market that would be marine focused. I'd think for any aquarium store to be sustainably profitable in such a small city, they'd have to be an overall good aquarium shop with lots of freshwater & specialty items to realize the life time value of each customer as they go from a starter 10 gallon freshwater tank... to their 3rd & 4th tank... to conversion to SW etc...

The Guy
12-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Small LFS is a tough, tough business..., no volume, hard to maintain a decent margin, can be expensive overhead, and lots of work (cleaning tanks, etc). Anyone that can stay in business for any length of time has my utmost respect.

Agreed Walter, prime example: Oceanic Corals, way to go guys. :thumb:

GrimReefer
12-21-2014, 08:23 PM
To be clear, I'm not planning on shutting the store down. I do not want to abandon our clients who helped build the business, many of whom I consider friends. I would like to find a hobbyist to take the reigns and do well with it. It's not like there isn't room for improvement either. I just simply don't have the time anymore to balance Blue World, Bluefish, and family.

Skimmerking
12-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I merly put out that sinds thy started 2 caved, nothing more, nothing less

If the maret was there, a increas in leas should normaly not be such a bit of a proublem, or relocate, but if a market has been created that is harsh, and hard to com by, than a increase in lease becomes a proublem, i understand

That spencers abbitions are ells where, that could very well be, but than why start someting.

On the end, first we had 3 stores, and now gust one, and many go to vancouver, becouse a tiny damsel cost already $ 12 or a 3 inch naso $125

Be it nececerry or not to have these prices, it makes the hobby hard to come by with a local shop, and thus hard to survive when many locals go elswere to get there stuff

And befor you say, i.m not alone in this

Lets leave it what it is, i expressed my opinion, and so did you

Buds with all due respect coming on here with out the proper info can open up for a huge debate and comments that we would not like to see on this board I understand that you may hear a few things but maybe In the future sometimes asking a question can save face and a lot of headache then the mods are going to have to work overtime.
With that being said, I know that we don't have a spell check board, but please in the future. Copy and paste into word document and then touch up the spelling mistakes. makes for a hard read and a miscommunication conversation. just saying hope I didn't offend ya just giving ya some heads up.

A little hint for ya if you right click on your mouse over a word that is highlighted. it will give you a option to do spell check.