PDA

View Full Version : anyone use hagen glo t5 retrofits?

smokinreefer
12-17-2014, 09:08 PM
hey all,

i'll be adding some t5 retrofits to my lighting soon.

just wondering if anyone is using the t5 kits from hagen

i'm looking at these
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hg-glo1555/Hagen+GLO+T5+Electronic+Flourescent+Lighting+Syste m+%282-24W+2-39W%29.html

mostly because I can pick it up locally.

but not sure if its good quality. reliable etc?

hoping someone has some input.

thanks!

Sebae again
12-17-2014, 10:40 PM
I've used them for couple of years with no issues.

smokinreefer
12-19-2014, 02:36 AM
Cool. I'll put them down on my shipping list!

mike31154
12-19-2014, 03:29 AM
Although I've never use their retrofit T5 kits, my first light was a Hagen Glo T5HO dual fixture. Good quality build & from what I could see at the LFS, the retrofit kits were quality hardware. The Glo fixture's reflector is the only one I recall that seemed unaffected by salt spray, that is it was easy to clean & stayed shiny. Salt deposits were easy to wipe off without scratching the surface. My other reflectors, don't recall brand, all lost their shine once salt got on them, essentially useless as reflectors after that.

smokinreefer
12-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the info Mike.

Was just looking at the specs, unfortunately the retro kits don't come with reflectors. But good to hear that the other components should be of good quality.

The reflectors is be getting from the lfs would be hamilton reflectors.
Sure hope they will be as good as the ones you had.

pgtanks
12-21-2014, 01:44 PM
I have run the hagen t5ho retro kit for about 5 years, the ballast and endcaps are solid but the reflectors oxidized pretty quickly. also a good idea to secure the endcaps with zipties or replace the plastic bulb clips regularly. I have come home 3 or 4 times to a bulb half in my tank and still on, because the bulb clip broke.

smokinreefer
12-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Pgtanks, did the reflectors come with the kit?

I wondering if Hagen addressed the issue by not including the reflectors anymore. That's one way to take care of a problem. Lol

Good to know about the clips.

pgtanks
12-21-2014, 06:04 PM
the clips came with the reflectors. they were separate from the ballast.

mike31154
12-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Something I never liked that much about T5 & MH technology, reflectors. Ok for most applications, but when you need directional light source such as for our tanks they really aren't the most efficient option. Consider the fact that at least 50% of the light is emitted in the wrong direction and no matter how good the reflector, it will never be able to make the best use of all that light going the wrong way! Anyhow, not to send the thread in the wrong direction or be negative, but with the LEDs available these days, I'm really not sure why anyone would consider other lighting options. Still plenty of folks out there that prefer T5HO & MH which is fine, but it's only a matter of time before replacements & components will no longer be available & those that are will be very costly.

sumpfinfishe
12-22-2014, 03:07 AM
You have PM:biggrin:

Coral Hoarder
12-22-2014, 05:06 AM
I bought one of thies used when I was a beginner and it broke it was probly a few years old but the plastic on the end cracked

And people prefer t5 and halides over LEDs cuz of growth and colour o yes and LEDs bleach stuff like crazy

Aquattro
12-22-2014, 05:27 AM
And people prefer t5 and halides over LEDs cuz of growth and colour

pretty much says it all :) When MH/T5 are no longer available, I'll shut down.

sumpfinfishe
12-23-2014, 01:54 AM
+1:puppydog: