PDA

View Full Version : 200 mircon filter cloth?

reefwithareefer
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Anyone know where to get sheets of 200 or 100 micron filter cloth locally?
Is there a specific material it needs to be for saltwater tanks?

KevinK
12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
was just wondering the same,

was locking for it online jet could not find it so fast,

anyone?

reefwithareefer
12-24-2014, 08:50 PM
I have not found anything yet...Someone must sell it in sheets.

reefwithareefer
03-23-2015, 03:38 AM
Drs Foster and Smith sell them online

Myka
03-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Are you talking about the filter pads or the micron mesh? You can buy machine washable micron filter pads just about anywhere (box stores have them), and the micron mesh I buy from amazon.com (amazon.ca doesn't have it).

reefwithareefer
03-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Are you talking about the filter pads or the micron mesh? You can buy machine washable micron filter pads just about anywhere (box stores have them), and the micron mesh I buy from amazon.com (amazon.ca doesn't have it).

I was looking for the cloth. I could only find small pads around 12" x 12" and they were pricey. Not to sure if any 200 micron cloth works or I have to be wary of chemicals etc in the manufacturing process. Otherwards, does the cloth have to be made specifically for aquarium use or does it matter?

Myka
03-24-2015, 02:29 PM
I was looking for the cloth. I could only find small pads around 12" x 12" and they were pricey. Not to sure if any 200 micron cloth works or I have to be wary of chemicals etc in the manufacturing process. Otherwards, does the cloth have to be made specifically for aquarium use or does it matter?

Your word "cloth" is weird. Are you talking about the micron mesh? Micron mesh is a fairly stiff plastic mesh screening (lower micron, like 27 micron is less stiff, maybe cloth-like). What are you using it for? The micron mesh from Amazon.com that is made of nylon or polyester is fine for aquariums - I've been using it for years.

Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Opaque-Off-White-Length-microns/dp/B0044KN5HM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427207086&sr=8-1&keywords=200+micron+mesh

I don't think you will find it any cheaper than Amazon. If that's the stuff, search for "200 micron mesh" on Amazon and you can see all the different options for sizing. You could always buy a 200 micron mesh filter bag and cut it open to make it flat.

reefwithareefer
03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
No, not the plastic mesh like pre-filter socks. but rather the white cloth/fabric like you get when buying filter/sump socks. I believe they are made of a polyfiber.
I have not looked at Amazon yet, but prefer to find a local supplier if possible.

I use it instead of sump socks. I run egg crate across the sump tank near both ends and put the "sock fabric" in front of it so it catches the crap floating around. The "sheets" are easier to wash and way cheaper than pre-made socks.

My computer screen does not show the Amazon product pic very well, can not tell what it is, but does sound like it.

This seems to be it but 50 microns
http://www.amazon.com/Singed-Polyester-Filter-Fabric-Micron/dp/B004JHD71Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427212783&sr=8-4&keywords=300+micron+mesh

Myka
03-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Ah, filter pads then. Any vendor that carries Coralife products can order it for you. Coralife makes one called Pure-Flo and is comes in several micron sizes. Machine-washable. You can also buy disposable stuff from J&L Aquatics that comes in a bulk sheet 36 x 24" I think. It doesn't have a micron rating though - it's just a roll of polyester padding for quilt making.

reefwithareefer
03-24-2015, 07:35 PM
I will ask around about the Coralife pad then. Places carried the "pad" but only in small dimensions, nothing in bulk.

Drs Foster & Smith have them in 4 paks of 36x36", but I want to just grab locally when needed. I go thru them pretty quickly and I can only wash them a couple times before they seem unusable.

I use the quilt padding for a prefilter in front of the 200 micron. Wally World carries a huge bag for 8 bucks.

Thanks for the help. it is appreciated

Myka
03-25-2015, 02:52 AM
I will ask around about the Coralife pad then. Places carried the "pad" but only in small dimensions, nothing in bulk.

Drs Foster & Smith have them in 4 paks of 36x36", but I want to just grab locally when needed. I go thru them pretty quickly and I can only wash them a couple times before they seem unusable.

I use the quilt padding for a prefilter in front of the 200 micron. Wally World carries a huge bag for 8 bucks.

Thanks for the help. it is appreciated

Yeah, I do the same. Maybe you can talk one of the saltwater LFS to carry it for you, if not...Petland here carries it. $20 for 24x36" or something like that. Now I think of it though, the Coralife I think are only in 50 micron and 100 micron.

When you wash them, what do you use in the wash water to help clean? Bleach helps.