PDA

View Full Version : Maintainance app, or pen and paper?

IanWR
12-17-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

I'm starting early on my new years resolution to get more organized with my tank. I've had good intentions to record tests, w/c, etc but have failed to be consistent with any record keeping. Does anyone have a suggestion for an app that might expidite this, or should I just stick with a notebook?

Thanks,

Ian

Ulmo
12-17-2014, 08:37 PM
I havn't been able to find and acceptable app yet. There's this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22504846&postcount=928

It's pretty good.

rsisvixen
12-17-2014, 08:42 PM
http://www.aquarimate.com/

Seems to be a good app

BuschWacker
12-17-2014, 08:48 PM
I use an app called 'aquaplanner pro'. Has alerts, reminders, graphs all your data. I like it. It does everything I need it to. And it saves to the cloud, so I can use it across multiple devices.

matt_C
12-17-2014, 11:16 PM
i use a calender that i have behind each one of my tanks.
i write down when fish are added, corals, are added, water changes, tests, etc....

notclear
12-17-2014, 11:18 PM
Try aquaticlog.com

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

e46er
12-18-2014, 03:11 AM
I don't record anymore unless I'm having issues

Cody
12-18-2014, 03:15 AM

I'm the same way. I don't see the benefit of keeping a history of test results. Do some feel it is part of the fun of the hobby or am I missing out on something that I should be doing?

gregzz4
12-18-2014, 04:22 AM
Guess it's pen and paper for me

I wrote an Excel log/spreadsheet and use it all the time
I print off blank sheets and they pile up until I transfer them to a storage binder ......
I record every test, additions/deaths, lighting changes, dosing changes, water changes, changed a brand of product

I find it very useful when looking back to source issues
It's also helpful just for the fact that I can date when I did 'what' with bulbs, dosing changes, whatever
What buckets of salt I used, batch #s ....

The uses are endless

mike31154
12-18-2014, 05:10 AM
I use a spreadsheet as well. Started it years ago as an Excel document. Recently bit the bullet & bought a new notebook since the old one was still running XP & the nagging end of support pop ups finally made me crumble. Don't have the latest version of MS Office, so decided to upload the document to Google sheets, since I have a Google+ account. Bit of a learning curve but functions much the same. A little nervous of having it on the 'cloud', but I back it up to a local drive from time to time.

It's grown into quite a complex thing with 12 different sheets covering everything from water changes, water tests, cost of hardware/livestock, electrical components & power consumption, LED specs, RODI gallons produced & filter changes.... the list goes on. Even have a sheet for calculating various conversions.

Here's a screenshot made some time ago.
https://tsl4pa.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y2p5pEglDn4yVuZ1IwxT2JymLH854woyaQG-3cn5qysFKK-jrRkRB_o80DVYvUjqSb3-lSwbUdh7_RsKKuYw687yzD14Rrm4jgYKqrvJu77Fh16U4ZofMe DE5Rk6faFFpILmwXw2THxTYJR4pC_S-hh-Q/RODI2.jpg?psid=1

Should anyone be interested, I can save a copy & link to a shared version to download or use as you wish although it may be confusing. There are no instructions & will probably be difficult to figure out everything I've done. I don't consider myself to be a computer geek, but I did get fairly proficient as an MS Office user in my previous line of work.

kien
12-18-2014, 05:12 AM
I use an app that came with my iPhone. It's call "Notes". Works great!

NIVLEM09
12-18-2014, 06:10 AM
I'm using an app called AL(aquatic log)to keep track and it's free too.

Aquattro
12-18-2014, 06:24 AM

Ya, I'm the same. As long as my measurement is good that day, I'm happy. If it's not, I take corrective action until it's good again. I track bulbs and RO parts in my head. My head is old, my cartridges might be too :)

mikellini
12-18-2014, 07:05 AM
Apex Fusion has a note taking system that works. Not as nice as a graphing log or something but I'm sure that's in the works

FishyFishy!
12-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I made all of my logs in excel and printed sheets out. I keep them in a binder to fill out. Ones that are important to me right now is my vinegar dosing schedule and my carbon/GFO switchouts. But I also have test results, RO/DI filters, maintenance/water change sheets as well. Works good for me!

Craigdillman
12-18-2014, 06:04 PM
I Use an app called old fashioned pen and paper record all my water changes my parameters when i notice something weird if i add corals or fish, i have been pretty diligent and i can flip back to say a few months ago and check how many WCs i did or the paramaters

Maybe I'm anal but i kinda like recording it all

WarDog
12-18-2014, 06:12 PM
I plan on using pen and paper. I am old school like that and it just seems way faster to me.

shiftline
12-18-2014, 08:02 PM
I actually singed up to make apps but never actually put in the time. I think I may try making my own :)

What are the main things you guy's track?

mike31154
12-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I mainly keep track of water changes & RODI system throughput. I don't like changing filters on a calendar basis, since that has nothing to do with how clogged they get. It's all about how much water you've sent through it and what the TDS out of the RO membrane is. Also, it's good to know when you're getting close to the 20,000 gallon mark through your carbon filter, if it's rated for that, rather than changing at an arbitrary 6 month interval. I've found the less I mess with the RODI, the better it works. Change the sediment filters regularly, but I'm still on the original 75 gpd membrane and only the second carbon block in over 5 years.

Although my spreadsheet has a page for all the chemical parameters, I don't typically check those very often, unless the tank "doesn't look right". But since I've gone to the trouble of maintaining a spreadsheet, it might as well be able to track that stuff. I don't print any of the info to put in a binder. Don't see the need when I can see it all on the 'puter.

lastlight
12-18-2014, 10:41 PM

+1

Bill@IA
12-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Thats what I use as well.

mikellini
12-18-2014, 11:25 PM
I mainly keep track of water changes & RODI system throughput. I don't like changing filters on a calendar basis, since that has nothing to do with how clogged they get. It's all about how much water you've sent through it and what the TDS out of the RO membrane is. Also, it's good to know when you're getting close to the 20,000 gallon mark through your carbon filter, if it's rated for that, rather than changing at an arbitrary 6 month interval. I've found the less I mess with the RODI, the better it works. Change the sediment filters regularly, but I'm still on the original 75 gpd membrane and only the second carbon block in over 5 years.

Although my spreadsheet has a page for all the chemical parameters, I don't typically check those very often, unless the tank "doesn't look right". But since I've gone to the trouble of maintaining a spreadsheet, it might as well be able to track that stuff. I don't print any of the info to put in a binder. Don't see the need when I can see it all on the 'puter.

You should really change your carbon block more often, most of them are rated for 20k gallons at 50% efficiency or so, which means that by that time, they are letting 50% of what they should be stopping through. Plus that rating is for continuous operation, so if it sits for some time it will reduce the number somewhat. Plus there's clogging of the micron filter before the block (will happen to some degree even with a sediment filter of equal micron size before it), bacterial growth etc. And it's a 9 dollar part.

BRS has a great series of videos on carbon blocks and rodi systems, a true wealth of information. Myself, I change my sediment filter when water pressure drops from 60 psi to 50 psi, and the carbon filter every second time I change the sediment filter. Probably works out to every 1000 gallons for the sediment, and 2000 for the carbon

mike31154
12-18-2014, 11:54 PM
You should really change your carbon block more often, most of them are rated for 20k gallons at 50% efficiency or so, which means that by that time, they are letting 50% of what they should be stopping through. Plus that rating is for continuous operation, so if it sits for some time it will reduce the number somewhat. Plus there's clogging of the micron filter before the block (will happen to some degree even with a sediment filter of equal micron size before it), bacterial growth etc. And it's a 9 dollar part.

BRS has a great series of videos on carbon blocks and rodi systems, a true wealth of information. Myself, I change my sediment filter when water pressure drops from 60 psi to 50 psi, and the carbon filter every second time I change the sediment filter. Probably works out to every 1000 gallons for the sediment, and 2000 for the carbon

I thought the main purpose of the carbon block was to protect the RO membrane from chlorine. I have a swimming pool test kit for chlorine that I used before changing the carbon last time & it still showed negative. I didn't wait until exactly 20,000 gallons on the last one, but close. I still use RO water from the system at 1 TDS for drinking etc. with no health issues that I'm aware of. I realize the filter is not that costly, but still like to get the most out of the thing before relinquishing it to the landfill. Besides, the water coming through my tap is supposedly fit for human consumption. A bunch of videos from a vendor are unlikely to make me change my errant ways! Folks are free to change them as often as they see fit, I'm merely documenting my experience. YMMV. And that's where my trusty spreadsheet comes in handy. I don't have a smart phone or iphone, so it's what I do.

rishu_pepper
12-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Aquarimate is a great app. Love using it to track params, livestock, expenses (ok not that last part lol).

mikellini
12-19-2014, 01:08 AM
I thought the main purpose of the carbon block was to protect the RO membrane from chlorine. I have a swimming pool test kit for chlorine that I used before changing the carbon last time & it still showed negative. I didn't wait until exactly 20,000 gallons on the last one, but close. I still use RO water from the system at 1 TDS for drinking etc. with no health issues that I'm aware of. I realize the filter is not that costly, but still like to get the most out of the thing before relinquishing it to the landfill. Besides, the water coming through my tap is supposedly fit for human consumption. A bunch of videos from a vendor are unlikely to make me change my errant ways! Folks are free to change them as often as they see fit, I'm merely documenting my experience. YMMV. And that's where my trusty spreadsheet comes in handy. I don't have a smart phone or iphone, so it's what I do.

What water were you testing with the script? That is a good way to test if your carbon blocks, as long as you're testing the waste water and not water that has gone through the membrane. You should still check out those videos, great info

mike31154
12-19-2014, 01:35 AM
What water were you testing with the script? That is a good way to test if your carbon blocks, as long as you're testing the waste water and not water that has gone through the membrane. You should still check out those videos, great info

I disconnected the line at the output of the carbon block (before the RO membrane) & tested there for chlorine. I'll check out the vids too, but this discussion needs another thread perhaps, we're getting off topic of app vs pen & paper!

In the photo below the left strip is a sample after the carbon stage, the right strip is tap water.
https://tsl4pa.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y2pYnzJkLO931oeGwug8rCUwdv3-gt3erHJBhVFapYJzFEeKM_a5quUl53HHUi4qab0Uu6yHpEnmqi RKjCf8MOpHeYz-vKOmAN0aOEhgzNP1XVCeXtOYN9Ka1_h9BAm3WBG/P1040462e.JPG?psid=1

mikellini
12-19-2014, 02:13 AM
Looks good to me. We actually have decent water here, we pay enough for it... Anyway, back on topic, sorry haha

Myka
12-19-2014, 02:16 AM
I have a good old paper notebook for each tank. I have used some apps and programs, but prefer good old paper. I have notebooks from years ago. I worry that digital data might get erased, damaged, or obsolete to the point that I can't access it anymore. I highlight things like carbon changes in different colors so it's easy to locate the last change. I also make visual notes if things are looking particularly good or poor, and I've learned a lot from looking at history leading up to good times and poor times. I refer to the old notebooks more often than I ever thought I would when I made them. :D