PDA

View Full Version : any ideas what this is?

fortheloveofcrabs
09-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Is this what I think it is? I found it on the back side of a rock I have had in for about 8 months now, it is quite small, and is the only one in there. Any ideas?

Thanks is advance!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=336302

EmilyB
09-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Yup, aiptasia.

fortheloveofcrabs
09-09-2004, 03:57 AM
have you had it before? Any suggestions on getting rid of it?

IrishReefer
09-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Its what you think it is.... Aptasia or glass anemone. How long has the tank been up and running? They are real buggers to get rid of - that one looks like its base is beneath and in between the two rocks - Is it accessible for a syringe in the base? If not there are other ways... One way is to use the underwater putty stuff and seal it in. Or a Cobberband butterfly will sort it or peppermint shrimps though in the past this hasn't been too sucessful for me.

Only one thing is for sure.... it will spread if you don't take care of it.

Best of luck,

Brian

EmilyB
09-09-2004, 04:04 AM
Yup. If you only have the one, you can take a syringe and blast it with boiling water.

fortheloveofcrabs
09-09-2004, 03:36 PM
That really stinks that I got this stuff. It is the only one, and teh rock has been in my tank for about 6 months... closer to 7 I guess. He, or 'it', is on a small peice of rock that kind of has two rock things that just out of it, making it look like it is between two rocks. I am going to buy a needle today and do my best. I've heard that lemon juice works well too, any comments? I inject the stem of the thing - I presume? From the side or top. Other forms seem a little vague on that. Thanks again!

IrishReefer
09-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi again,

Lemon juice works well as does liquid calcium. You need to try and get it into the base - It will shrink down as soon as it realises what you are doing.... If you score a direct hit, you will see some ugly stuff float away immediately.

Good Luck

mr_alberta
09-09-2004, 04:33 PM
A concentrated mixture of Kalk and water works very well. Just don't get any on anything else that you would like to have in your tank.

fortheloveofcrabs
09-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks all. I used boiling water and it seems to have been a success. I got hte little bugger right at the root, and somesort of milky substance came out of him, and he shriveled up. That was last night around 9, and no sign of him since!

Thanks again!