PDA

View Full Version : Tanksitting & porcupine died. Do I waterchange?

Delphinus
12-17-2014, 02:47 AM
So, this sucks... I'm tanksitting for a fellow Canreefer, and unfortunately his puffer/porcupine perished sometime in the last 24 hours.

He was about 5" nose to tail, so reasonably small all things considered, and the tank is about 200g. None of the other inhabitants appeared stressed. But I'm concerned about the invisible cloud of death these things can release into the water.

Should I waterchange to be on the safe side? If so, how much?

The tank does have carbon but I don't know how old. Should I see about getting new carbon on as well?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice..

The Codfather
12-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Way to go Tony...
Give you one simple job and......

I assume you were able to find and get him out?
If it's not too much trouble I'd change a few gallons and add carbon just to be on the safe side. Just my thoughts...

Delphinus
12-17-2014, 02:56 AM
Yeah this really sucks. Only 3 days in too. I don't know what happened, he ate just fine yesterday. :(

Was able to get him out pretty easy at least (it's not like he swam away...)

Yeah, I'm thinking I should go back and do a w/c and carbon changeout. I guess it can't hurt.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Buy another porcupine puffer and play "stupid" :wink::drinking::multi::lilangel:

CM125
12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Buy another porcupine puffer and play "stupid" :wink::drinking::multi::lilangel:

THIS ^^^^ LOL

TimT
12-17-2014, 03:24 PM
In my experience with Porky's and Boxfish I don't think Porky's release a cloud of death like Boxfish do. If they did it'd be too late anyways. :(

Delphinus
12-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Thanks!

andestang
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Haha, like in "Meet The Parents" with the cat :lol: Seriously though this is why tank sitting can be stressful. Hope the rest goes smoothly Tony.

Myka
12-19-2014, 12:51 AM
If nothing is looking stressed, I wouldn't stress about it too much. I'd change the carbon just to stick on the safe side.

Cody
12-19-2014, 06:00 PM
What kind of success have people had keeping these in reef tanks? I'm guessing puffers will make quick work of all inverts and destroy sps as well? I love puffers but can't imagine they are a good idea in the reef tanks??

Reef_Geek
12-19-2014, 06:30 PM
I think we're all missing the opportunity here.

When they get home, they can have a very personalized Christmas tree ornament that is both memorable and straight to the heart.

http://www.shelloutlet.com/i//pufferfish.JPG

Pike
12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
Buahahahahahahahaha!
Mega LOLZ dude !! good one