PDA

View Full Version : Recycling SPS?

Reef Pilot
12-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Is there any merit to crushing up old dead SPS and adding it back to the sand? I am thinking of maybe recovering some Ca, alk, Mg, and whatever else the coral took out of the water. Of course, there might also be some P04 which might not be so good.

Slyguy00
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
I know people use crushed coral that have died in their tank in their calcium reactors. Not sure if it would have much benefit just crushing and adding to sand or not. Either way I can't see it hurting anything.

lemon604
12-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes, that's how white sand beaches are formed. Crushed corals.

tang daddy
12-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Some of the sand beaches are created from parrot fish grazing on sps corals and pooping over millenia.... Don't know how much of that is true but saw it on oasis lol.

Walter I think crushing up sps to make crush coral seems like a lot of time wasted. Reusing dead sps in a ca reactor seems like a better idea, I have done it before and don't see any harm in doing so....

Reef Pilot
12-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Yes, I know how sand gets made in the ocean, but it is also huge, and certainly no danger of an overdose of P04. But in our small enclosed aquarium eco systems, that may not be the case. So just wondering if anyone has actually done that (adding to the sand, not a Ca reactor) with no ill effects. I think it should be OK, as everyone so far has intimated, but just asking...

And, haha, agree not the best use of my time, but could say that about a lot of my reefing activities...

kien
12-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Some of the sand beaches are created from parrot fish grazing on sps corals and pooping over millenia.... Don't know how much of that is true but saw it on oasis lol.

Walter I think crushing up sps to make crush coral seems like a lot of time wasted. Reusing dead sps in a ca reactor seems like a better idea, I have done it before and don't see any harm in doing so....

It's true, my parrot fish does that all the time. Well, he did up to the point where I sold him. :biggrin:

crimper
12-17-2014, 12:03 AM
I used to put crushed corals on my HOB as a filter media on my decommissioned 20G nano, I noticed that the crushed corals depletes as times goes by. I think that they react with the trapped CO2 in foam media and also CO2 from the water itself releasing Ca and Alk back in the water.

I didn't noticed PO4 spike. Maybe it's worth doing some experiments with that Walter :wink:

Reef Pilot
12-17-2014, 01:43 AM
I used to put crushed corals on my HOB as a filter media on my decommissioned 20G nano, I noticed that the crushed corals depletes as times goes by. I think that they react with the trapped CO2 in foam media and also CO2 from the water itself releasing Ca and Alk back in the water.

I didn't noticed PO4 spike. Maybe it's worth doing some experiments with that Walter :wink:
Hmmm, I do have a foam in my prefilter canister in my DIY carbon/GFO reactor. Maybe I could stuff the crushed coral in the foam and see what happens.

Delphinus
12-17-2014, 02:52 AM
All things being equal I always thought it was clam shells and in particular snail shells that were particularly dirty with PO4 and not ideal for recycling in a calcium reactor. Otherwise though, most aragonite reactor media is just crushed coral, but generally of a more uniform granularity. Basically if you have a means of combating PO4 buildup anyhow (gfo), you're good to go, IMHO.

Duncans n' Dendros
12-19-2014, 04:07 AM
I just toss it in the sump and becomes LR.

asylumdown
12-21-2014, 04:58 PM
I've noticed dead coral is the first place cyano and then other more tenacious algae starts. It seems like there's something within that matrix they can extract that they can't get as easily somewhere else.

Crushed and disbursed amongst your sand might not be as bad, but it would be pretty easy to spot test.

Patwa
12-22-2014, 02:40 PM

indeed :) most beach sand is made this way......here is a school of bumphead parrotfish I photographed doing just that

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2833/13772351753_5629dd4d41_b.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2839/13772456693_94cfe2a066_b.jpg