PDA

View Full Version : Empty tank as a sump - No compartments

Easto
12-16-2014, 03:33 PM
I am still planning things and wanted to do a real basic sump. Essentially a place to house a heater, protein skimmer, and carbon/GFO reactor.

I see a lot of sumps that have glass pieces siliconed in, bubble traps, etc

http://i49.tinypic.com/smww1i.jpg

Is there a big problem just using a tank without any of those separate compartments?

Can I just put a skimmer, reactor, heater, return pump, etc into a tank and leave it at that?

christyf5
12-16-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't have any compartments in mine and I've run that way for about 8 years now. I do have a filter sock tied to the overflow in the sump to reduce bubbles (no matter what mods I make I can't seem to reduce the bubbles) but thats about it. I have the usual suspects in there, heater, skimmer, couple phosban reactors for carbon etc and a zeovit reactor. Key is to have the length of the sump for bubble reduction (ie tank output at one end, return at the other end).

Seriak
12-16-2014, 04:17 PM
As mentioned already, baffles help with preventing micro bubbles from getting back into your display. Also, baffles can help keep your skimmer compartment at a constant level so it can operate properly. I prefer to break out areas in my sump but like christy said, you don't technically need them.

monza
12-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Its also super easy to get silicone in one or two or three pieces of glass to stop micro bubbles. The glass needed would be really cheap to have cut.

target
12-16-2014, 04:33 PM
I've only got 2 baffles in my sump. One to keep a constant level for the skimmer and one for the water to travel under to block bubbles.

CM125
12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
I highly recommend putting in the baffles, you will regret it if you don't. All I did the first time was buy some plexi from home depot. That way I could cut it at home, and then just silicone it in. I don't have micro bubbles and my skimmer works great because the level is always the same

Animal-Chin
12-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Its all about the skimmer and the water level. I had one witout baffles and now one with and I would never set up a sump without a skimmer compartment again. You auto top off works way better too if its in a small compartement. Plexy glass and fishtank safe silicone is all you need. make sure you get fishtank safe though, some silicone will leach into the water. Your LFS should have some...

spit.fire
12-17-2014, 11:44 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/17/6c2c2f9d0a1e6b7d6cb3e5845844f2a0.jpg

No baffles, no micro bubbles

Was running a herbie and overflow

A quality skimmer also helps

Aquattro
12-17-2014, 12:01 PM
I use a single baffle, this keeps water level perfect for skimmer, gives me smaller fluctuating compartment for the auto topoff.

christyf5
12-17-2014, 03:57 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/17/6c2c2f9d0a1e6b7d6cb3e5845844f2a0.jpg

No baffles, no micro bubbles

Was running a herbie and overflow

A quality skimmer also helps

Sheesh, couldn't you have more cords or salt creep in there or something? We could do a TOTM off that sump :razz:

spit.fire
12-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Sheesh, couldn't you have more cords or salt creep in there or something? We could do a TOTM off that sump :razz:

Never had any problems with salt creep, even after adding an mp40

christyf5
12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
I think salt creep just likes me. I don't have a ton of splashing but it seems I have salt everywhere.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-17-2014, 05:59 PM
I use 2 glass baffles. The first is 9-10" tall, siliconed to the sump bottom so that it creates a "skimmer box" that has very stable water level, which improves skimmer efficiency. If you have no baffles, your water level might fluctuate a bit, even with an ATO, but with a skimmer box, no fluctuations.

The second is at the far end of the sump, with room an inch wider than the biggest pump I'm going to use as a return and its about a cm or so above the bottom of the sump. The center chamber is filled with rubble, extra live rock, macro algae, etc. This allows water to pass through without any bubbles on your return.

I make the skimmer box big enough to hold the biggest skimmer I'm likely to use, plus enough room to add some extra equipment, like media reactors & heaters & filter sock.

Unlike a lot of others, I have a big skimmer (90g wide - 48" x 24" x 18" tall) so I have room for everything. If space is an issue, the center chamber can be made smaller cause the rubble and chaeto will trap the bubbles anyways.

Anthony