PDA

View Full Version : RODI in kelowna?

shiftline
12-14-2014, 04:51 AM
Does anyone know where to get RODI in Kelowna?
I ordered a kit but it's on back order and I'm itching to get the tank cycling

mikellini
12-14-2014, 05:45 AM
You should join the Facebook group Okanagan Reef Keepers and ask there. Plenty of nice people that can help you out.

H2o2
12-14-2014, 06:26 AM
http://www.seahorsebayaquatics.com/default.html

shiftline
12-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Will do. Thanks!

mike31154
12-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Try an Andrew Sheret, you have one in Kelowna on Banks. I also recall seeing RO systems in a pure water vending business on Harvey, a small strip mall not far from Sutherland, but on the west side of the road. Be advised that you will probably end up paying more for the components & systems there and they may not have the DI stage or media. The price for being in a hurry I suppose. The systems on offer by seahorse bay aquatics are quite competitive price wise but you'll need to drive to Vernon. I've also seen RO systems in some of the larger box stores, but their pricing is out to lunch for what they offer and usually include a pressure tank & faucet for drinking water, which most of us don't use or need.

And... don't forget that there is a buy/sell forum here on Canreef for both livestock & hardware.

shiftline
12-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I checked out seahorse bays website. I wish I knew about it earlier!

I actually have a RO system. And ordered a DI system. It's just on back order. I have seen lots of places with RO just no one with DI!

mike31154
12-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. I checked out seahorse bays website. I wish I knew about it earlier!

I actually have a RO system. And ordered a DI system. It's just on back order. I have seen lots of places with RO just no one with DI!

Have you hooked up the RO system to see what your product water TDS is? If it's down below 4, you're probably ok to start cycling the tank with that. By the time your back ordered DI stage arrives, you'll be ready to add livestock after a water change with 0 TDS RODI water. My tap water TDS is generally in the 180 TDS range and my 75 gpd RO membrane gets that down to 1 TDS after running for about 5 minutes. I do have a DI stage to get the TDS down to 0, but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use just RO water at 1 TDS.

shiftline
12-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Im getting 2 TDS.. so its pretty good. I just kept reading that you are vey prone to algae with out the DI..

mike31154
12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
It depends on what the TDS is composed of and yes, could be a concern with using treated tap water long term, but I don't think 2 TDS to start cycling your rock is going to result in an algae explosion. If it is a concern & you're still eager to get started, you can also go out & buy distilled water at the local grocery store, unless you're starting a really large tank. Even then, for cycling you may not need to fill the tank completely, just enough to cover the rock you're curing/cycling, a power head to move the water, a heater....