PDA

View Full Version : Did you survive the BC windstorm

seabreeze
12-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Hoping all you BC canreefers survived last night's windstorm - but more specifically did your tanks survive the blast :scared:

Came home at midnight from work to the noise of our generator going. Luckily we have one! ...and even luckier that my husband had been home to turn it on.

Checked with hydro, and there were a massive number of outages! Report estimated power on at 8am but 'subject to change'.

I know there were still thousands without power this morning.

I don't keep my tank heater on as all the equipment running keeps the temp stable... but our house got quite cold so the tank temp dropped. Was around 72 when I checked.

Hope you and your tanks came away from the storm unscathed.

Coral Hoarder
12-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Mine was out for 5 hours not sure how low it dropped every things OK :)

WarDog
12-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Guess I am lucky. In the 7 years we've lived on the south side of PoCo our power has never gone out once, knock on wood.

Hope everyone survived unscathed!

Reef Pilot
12-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Ours went out at 11 pm and came on at 2 AM. First time this year, and we were home, so was no big deal. All pumps and Apex came up properly when the power came back. I did have my backup inverter battery pack ready, and kept a couple of my in-tank powerheads running at low power. I would have added a heater in the morning, but was not needed. Fish and corals all happy this morning.

Was quite a storm, though, and had the house shaking pretty good.

Dearth
12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Depends on where you were in the province some areas got no wind others got hurricane force winds and sorry it's a beef of mine because all the news services reported on a massive wind storm hits BC and all they show is the lower mainland virtually nothing about the rest of BC where some areas were hit harder and had way more issues (pipes freezing due to no heat, entire communities with no power and no access to generators and so on) Global news should rename itself lower mainland news.

Sorry I ranted but it's a peeve of mine.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Nothing happened in Burnaby [knock on wood], but have both battery backup and small generator if absolutely necessary.

mike31154
12-13-2014, 12:38 AM
Wind? What wind? Warm temps in the interior though (north Okanagan), I went for a motorbike ride this afternoon. Not something I can usually do here mid December.

gregzz4
12-13-2014, 01:18 AM
I'm only a couple miles away from Anthony and our power was out from 11PM 'till 4AM
I was reheating dinner when it went, so I had a candle-lit luke-warm leftover dinner :microwav:
It was blowing so hard there was a recycling bin skating down our street :surprise:

I was too tired to be woken when the power came back on so no idea how cold the tank got, but I'll estimate prolly 75
Everyone survived fine as I have a DIY battery backup for the Vortechs in the DT, and an automatic battery air pump for the QT
(which reminds me that I'll have to test those batteries now)

I'm pondering installing a furnace thermostat on our gas fireplace and set it a couple degrees below the furnace setting

The Guy
12-13-2014, 05:17 AM
We were out for a couple of hours, woke up with no power at 2am and was just setting up my battery air pumps when all the power came back on, bonus.