PDA

View Full Version : Using Water Softener Discharge Water

5gluder
12-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I currently have a water softener, i'm wondering if it possible to plumb the discharge water from the softener to a ro/di and then use that water for my tank? Just thinking of a way to reduce the amount of waste water :mrgreen:

Thanks

nrosdal
12-08-2014, 11:02 PM
the discharge will have salt water(and not the salt water you want) in it as the water coming out of the pipe will be what is used when rinsing the beads with the salt water from the bin you fill with salt. There is some clean water coming out of it after the clean cycle and rinse but mostly just water with salt in it.

BC564
12-09-2014, 10:07 PM
You can use it but you will go through your RO filters faster and the waste line from the water softener isnt under any high pressure. The water softener water is actually better to use to feed the RO filters.

nrosdal
12-09-2014, 11:12 PM
You can use it but you will go through your RO filters faster and the waste line from the water softener isnt under any high pressure. The water softener water is actually better to use to feed the RO filters.

you can use softened water for ro (and it will extend the life of your membrane). but i think his question was about the waste from the softener which will contain salt and mess up your ro if you try to run it through it. I am sure you could run the waste water line out to the garden or a barrel outside to use for something outside but it is not a good candidate for any aquarium related use.

5gluder
12-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Well i guess i'll just discharge both the softener and RO/DI into a bucket and pump it out to the backyard. Thanks for the help :biggrin:

Skimmin
12-10-2014, 07:06 PM
you can use the discharge from your ro and run it through another membrane which will reduce your ro waste water but the softner discharge will be too saturated with salt and destroy your ro membrane in a hurry