PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead vs wave maker advantage?

shiftline
12-08-2014, 06:28 PM
What's is the advantage of getting a wave maker over a powerhead. The the on/off current have any big advantage for corals/fish over a constant flow?

I'm debating between. Koralia nano 240gph or a kebao RW-4 for a 12g fluval edge

Madreefer
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
What you really want is random flow rather than wavemakers or powerheads. So a controllable powerhead is what you need. If your budget is in the Jaboa range than go with that. I'm not sure if the model numbers but I'm sure they're all controllable.
As for your question its something that's come up years ago so a quick search should result in lots of answers to your question.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-08-2014, 08:22 PM
I think you should look at the Jebao WP10 - smallest one they make I believe.

BuschWacker
12-08-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm using a jebao rw-4 in a nuvo 8, and even on the lowest setting its still way touch flow on something that small. My clowns hide in the bottom corner behind a rock when it is on. I hope you have better luck with your edge than I did with my nuvo.

Craigdillman
12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
yea i think the rw-4 would be too much for your 12 gallon

id stick with the 2 240 hydro for now see how that works for you

crimper
12-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Hi Shift,

I think that would be too powerful for your tank, I'm running WP10 (which is the older wired version of RW-4) on a 3ft tank, it has lots of flow.

Since you had rigged out autodoser using Arduino before, if I'm not mistaken, you should be able to rigged out maybe 4 Koralia Nano and create a random ON/OFF sequence :biggrin:

The only draw back is, the Jebao is much more cheaper than 4 Koralia Nanos :sad:

Let us know how it goes.

shiftline
12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
hah true. Thanks for the tips.

I splurged and ordered the rw-4. I like that it has such a rang of control. Should be able to get it to spool up and down around 200gph :)

Got a light ordered, new jb4. DI add on for my RO. I'm almost set!

Coral Hoarder
12-08-2014, 11:32 PM
When I had my rw4 on my little 5 galon it was fine on lowest seting tank since got taken down

mike31154
12-09-2014, 02:26 AM
A powerhead can be made into a wavemaker by use of a controller. Depending on your budget, there are a host of options out there. I decided on EcoTech MP40 powerheads quite a few years ago & don't regret the investment. Controllability with the included drivers is very flexible. If you wish to make waves, you can. If you want random flow, ditto. Other solutions that offer the same at a lower price are out there, so it's your call. Seems to be a new kid on the block now with the Maxspect Gyre thingy? Time will tell whether it is a 'disruptive' technology.

shiftline
12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Hopefully my cheaper one does the job for now