PDA

View Full Version : Mysis hatching question

jason604
12-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Hey guys is it possible to hatch a bunch of mysis and spray them into my refugium and for them to survive/reproduce and slowly feed my DT?

Aquattro
12-07-2014, 08:16 PM
How are you planning to hatch mysis?

corpusse
12-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Breeding mysis is VERY labor intensive. VERY expensive too.

You are better to just buy live ones and ween whatever you need to feed them off them asap. When I hatched baby cuttlefish I'd import 500 or 1000 every 1-2 weeks and shipping was killer. I had to feed them brine shrimp as they are very cannibalistic. If you want to breed them you need to use netting that will allow the young ones to pass through catch all the adults and move them to another tank. You need to do this several times through their life cycle which is why you need several tanks.

straightrazorguy
12-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Hey guys is it possible to hatch a bunch of mysis and spray them into my refugium and for them to survive/reproduce and slowly feed my DT?

Why mysis? Why not pods? Most people's refugiums are teeming with pods. Get a bunch of cheato from someone who has pods in their fuge and they will multiply.

mohammadali
12-08-2014, 01:47 AM
if you want cope pods i have a lot of them now for sale
here is a video i shot 2 weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x_993-qXvM&list=UUNGtxtREa26OPdrOYSfeKag

778 714 0663

jason604
12-09-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry I got mixed up. I mean those baby brine shrimp that hatched from dry eggs u get from LFS

Aquattro
12-09-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm sorry I got mixed up. I mean those baby brine shrimp that hatched from dry eggs u get from LFS

Then no, you can't. They need a brine solution and will die in tank water.

rayjay
12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Jason, I don't know what you want to feed off of the brine shrimp nauplii, but larger fish normally aren't interested in them due to their small size.
Small fish, corals, some inverts will take to them.
Artemia cysts, (brine shrimp cysts) can carry nasty bacteria so you should hatch them and sterilize them preferably before adding to your tank system, just to be on the safe size.
You would have to be doing the additions on a regular basis as the brine shrimp would be gone not long after you introduce them to the refugium.
Brine shrimp can't survive in any tank with predation, nor can they swim against any flow to keep out of pumps sending water to other parts of the system.
Also, their food density (phyto/greenwater) has to be such that it too would dissapear only to be affecting the clarity of the water in the system.
For the best and most information you can get about brine shrimp go to The Production and Use of Live Foods for Aquaculture (http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/W3732E/w3732e00.htm) and scroll down to section 4.0
For my brine page go to Raising Brine Shrimp to Adult (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/brineshrimp.html)
You would be far better to keep the refugium stocked with pods that are suitable to repopulate at the temperature and s.g. that your tank and refugium are at. That is, unless your tank has more demands on that type of food than normal tanks have.
Have you got a lot of small rock rubble in the refugium to help the population of pods?
Not all live pods sold to add to tanks are good for populating long term, as some prefer lower s.g. and some need lower temperatures than most tanks are kept at.

jason604
12-09-2014, 07:32 PM
I wanted to keep them to constantly providing my mandarin and lps with constant food I guess I can't then. Not sure if I have enough pods as I never really see them alive, but I do see occasional dead adult sized ones floating around. I have have some cuz my mandarin been alive for 6 months now. I have lots of the good red string algae in my sump refug not sure the exact name.

rayjay
12-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Not all mandarins will eat brine shrimp, and some will only eat ongrown juveniles so you would have to experiment first to see it yours will eat them.
If so, you could add daily hatchings to the tank, or every other day or so.
I don't know your system size but many many years ago I had my 90g with over 100 lbs rock, and running about 5 or 6 yrs before adding a mandarin.
It was great for a long time but eventually it started to get skinny and died when I'd had it just over a year.
Mine wouldn't eat brine of any size, and live copepods were not available back in those days.
(I know, I'm old)