PDA

View Full Version : Favorite places to buy coral from

telkwa girl
12-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Hi! I'm just wondering where people from Prince Rupert to Prince George like to order their coral from.

Madreefer
12-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Your choices are really limited especially where you live. I would never even think of ordering any coral or fish as I doubt it would survive. You'd have to chance it and get it flown in to Smithers. A couple of us guys in PG have got some great pieces from CoralMaster.
Give Whatcaneyedo a message, he has some nice large frags that he sells cheap

I drive a train to Smithers and could always bring a box to Smithers with me.

telkwa girl
12-14-2014, 04:25 AM
Thanks Madreefer! I just placed an order with Canada Corals in Ontario and am quite happy with how that went. I have gotten coral from whatcaneyedo in the past and am happy with the coral I got from him as well. I might just take you up on your offer of delivery the next time I want some coral from PG :biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
I don't like to order coral, but when I do I order from whomever has the piece that I want at the time. Shipping is a lot of hassle and can obviously be expensive and risky. Unless I'm looking for something specific I just settle for whatever is available wherever I am at the time. What really bugs me is that I can't trust the pictures many people/retailers post. They are too often bathed in blue actinic light or photoshopped beyond reason. So its much more ideal to see for myself what something looks like in person.

My favourite thing to do is travel with a cooler when I go to visit family in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island. I always bring frags with me and I almost always bring frags back. About half of what I have came from retailers and the other half were from private sales.

Doug
12-15-2014, 03:17 PM
I don't like to order coral, but when I do I order from whomever has the piece that I want at the time. Shipping is a lot of hassle and can obviously be expensive and risky. Unless I'm looking for something specific I just settle for whatever is available wherever I am at the time. What really bugs me is that I can't trust the pictures many people/retailers post. They are too often bathed in blue actinic light or photoshopped beyond reason. So its much more ideal to see for myself what something looks like in person.

My favourite thing to do is travel with a cooler when I go to visit family in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island. I always bring frags with me and I almost always bring frags back. About half of what I have came from retailers and the other half were from private sales.

My favourite place is from you. Best size...great & hardy corals at a decent price. :mrgreen:

telkwa girl
12-29-2014, 06:24 PM

How long have you kept frags in the cooler? This is an awesome idea :biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
12-30-2014, 01:04 AM
About 30 hours. By using lots of water and the occasional heat pack you can transport coral for a full day with little to no risk.