PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Dorkel Marine 1
12-05-2014, 01:26 PM
I am a Newbie setting up a 65 gal. tank. My goal is to get educated and then start with soft corals. What lighting would you recommend.
Thanx in advance

WarDog
12-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Research, research, research... then pick something that makes YOU happy.

sumpfinfishe
12-05-2014, 06:54 PM
You could simply run 4 HO T5's to start-say 2 10k and 2 actinic, that would be more than enough for softies and some lps. Later on you could add some more tubes, add a pendant or upgrade to a high end lighting setup.

Dorkel Marine 1
12-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanx quys for replying.

mike31154
12-09-2014, 02:16 AM
Can't help it, gotta ask. You've been a forum member since 2002 and consider yourself a newbie? Ok, perhaps your experience has been freshwater until now, but surely you've delved into more than a few salt water posts over the years? The lighting debate is never ending, but you might want to look at some sort of LED set up. I reckon in a few years fluorescent technology will fall by the wayside, as will Halide. Even if they don't, it will get increasingly difficult to source bulbs, tubes, ballasts etc. and the cost will rise.

Dorkel Marine 1
12-11-2014, 01:17 PM
yes i had two small tanks and took them down. I am now more financially secure and disciplined so am reasking old questions. Another question is, is ordering online viable and if so what are some trusted online sites that you veteran salties use.

Aquattro
12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Another question is, is ordering online viable and if so what are some trusted online sites that you veteran salties use.

What do you mean, "viable"? Of course it's viable. Everyone uses online. Any of the sponsoring vendors, Ebay, Amazon, Fish street, etc.

mike31154
12-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Living in the GVA, you should be able to get most anything by shopping locally. Those of us in smaller towns or remote areas tend to look to on line vendors more I reckon. Particularly livestock has a better chance of survival when you can go to the LFS & pick it up personally. With international on line purchases, you need to take into account shipping costs, customs & in some cases outrageous brokerage fees.

04V10
12-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I've got an EcoTech Radion Gen 1 that you could purchase for an extremely good price!!! No longer needed as I don't have a tank anymore at home.