PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae??

Amadod2
12-05-2014, 01:50 AM
So I think I have hair algae in my tank, the reason I think I do and I'm not certain is because it doesn't look like normal hair algae, it's only 3-5mm long and it's corse and some of it is red. All my levels there are good, and I have no idea how to get rid of it. This so called hair algae appeared this summer in my tank when I had a summer crash and a regular hair algae bloom.
Any experience with this out there? What can I get as fish or dose???

hillegom
12-05-2014, 03:03 AM
You will find it in here:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/186736-nuisance-algae-guide/

Slyguy00
12-05-2014, 03:38 AM
Pics would help.

gregzz4
12-05-2014, 03:47 AM
So I think I have hair algae in my tank, the reason I think I do and I'm not certain is because it doesn't look like normal hair algae, it's only 3-5mm long and it's corse and some of it is red. All my levels there are good, and I have no idea how to get rid of it. This so called hair algae appeared this summer in my tank when I had a summer crash and a regular hair algae bloom.
Any experience with this out there? What can I get as fish or dose???

Besides all the help you may get ...

You really don't want to try to correct the issue by adding critters

I've been battling GHA since June and I'll tell ya, you need to remove the nutrients from your tank
If you get critters to eat it, all you're doing is creating a cycle where you'll have ones that eat it and poop the nutrients back into the water for the GHA to keep feeding on

Manual removal and nutrient control is your best option

If it's just a small outbreak ...
Not long after my tank was new I had a nasty outbreak
I ran a Rena canister filter while scrubbing the rocks and was successful (with my return pump off)
But this was not GHA. Rather it was some brownish gunk

Anyway, if you want to go balistic on it, get a canister filter and scrub the bejeezus out of your LR
Filter out ALL the spores
You can do this for days until it's under control

gregzz4
12-05-2014, 04:02 AM
This post has inspired me to to this again with my tank

I'm gonna find some time and go nuts with a canister filter I haven't sold yet :lol:

Amadod2
12-05-2014, 04:34 AM

here is a pic of the algae

gregzz4
12-05-2014, 05:13 AM
Yup, looks like algae to me

Amadod2
12-05-2014, 05:00 PM
so my levels are all in check, im running a fresh batch of rowaphos, last water change was on monday….
what else should i do? scrub it down? get blue legged hermit crabs, just let it be?

im going to be changing my t5 bulbs over the next few weeks, so im worried that it might start to bloom again

Amadod2
12-05-2014, 05:01 PM
i have also been contemplating building a refugium but have it more as a food source for my fish and some nutrient exportation

Cody
12-10-2014, 04:06 AM
I can only speak from personal experience, however, I do not consider myself an expert in the hobby. The very first SW tank I had was a 125g FOWLR and it eventually erupted with green hair algae. In hindsight I know the reasons why it happened. I was over feeding my tank, I had a lack of CUC, and over lighting. I was and always have be diligent with my water changes, but still had an explosion of algae. I have to agree with the previous responders that trying to repair the situation by adding livestock that will eat the algae is just masking the problem. That said, some of my favorite fish are grazers which certainly help but I think it's important to figure out why the outbreak is occurring and to resolve it. With a great deal of patience and dedication, after months I was able to correct the problems. I figured out a proper lighting schedule, I rectified my feeding problems, I got a proper CUC and picked away with manual removal. That was a few years ago and I've never had another outbreak again.

Myka
12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
If you pull on that algae does it come off easily or is it difficult to remove? If it comes off easily it is probably a type of hair algae. If it is difficult to pull off then it is probably a turf algae. The difference? Not much, other than manual removal of turf algae is difficult. :lol: Mexican Turbo Snails and Scarlet or Blue Legged Hermit crabs are the best for filamentous algae in my experience. I prefer Scarlet hermits over Blue Legs, but more people don't want to pay the price difference.