PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling in Maui

Reef Pilot
12-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Was in Maui a few weeks ago, and tried doing some underwater vids. Pure amateur quality, but hopefully shows just how full of life these reefs are. This was right outside our condo hotel, with low surf conditions making it ideal for snorkeling and swimming.

Have never seen so many turtles. They were all over, even on the sand beach swimming area. One girl got bit while we were there (she didn't even see the turtle until it got her). And I watched a turtle swim up to my friend while he was standing in the water waist deep. Looked like it was going for his crotch..., and he saw it just in time. And some mornings, there were 3 or 4 of them up out of the water on the beach.

Anyway, here's the vid. Change the youtube setting to 1080P for best quality viewing.
http://youtu.be/tVtKUXjdW4I?list=UUxa_P39J4QKqeFER5HHb8jA

intarsiabox
12-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Cool video! I watched some of your float plane vids as well, looks like fun!

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Cool video! I watched some of your float plane vids as well, looks like fun!
Thanks,... yeah, it's a lot of fun...

I've got a new action cam, but still working on the best mounting locations, and trying to eliminate that annoying rolling shutter jello effect.

sphelps
12-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Yeah no shortage of turtles there, the local aquarium is breeding and releasing them because apparently they're endangered. Now they get more shark attacks and can't figure out the connection :rolleyes:

Cool vid, thanks for sharing.

hillegom
12-03-2014, 03:27 AM
Nice Vid Walter./
Especially the colours. Mine sure don't look that good. I'll have to learn how to upload to u tube.
What beach was that at?

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Yeah no shortage of turtles there, the local aquarium is breeding and releasing them because apparently they're endangered. Now they get more shark attacks and can't figure out the connection :rolleyes:
Cool vid, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, we heard about the shark attacks, apparently a whole bunch this year. And someone there did say that the turtles come in to shore because of the sharks,... not sure if that is true. Makes you wonder... We've seen turtles here before, but never so many.

Nice Vid Walter./
Especially the colours. Mine sure don't look that good. I'll have to learn how to upload to u tube.
What beach was that at?
My camera has several settings for underwater which gives the correct white balance for the colour.
Keawakapu beach, south end of Kihei going into Wailea, about a mile long. Here is the hotel and pic of the beach, with the reef right there. Our fav location on Maui, stayed there several times now...
http://www.manakaimaui.com/

crimper
12-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Awesome vids Walter. Is this video taken using your TG2? Looks sharp and vivid. I'm thinking of getting the new TG3.

Flying is also my fashion, but was not fortunate enough as my parents was not able to send me to the flying school, that's why I ended up flying RC Planes instead. :mrgreen: My fav is the DHC-2 Beaver with floats :lol:

FishingGoalie
12-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Ive always mounted my cameras to the underside of the wings then attached a safety line to the struts :biggrin:

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Awesome vids Walter. Is this video taken using your TG2? Looks sharp and vivid. I'm thinking of getting the new TG3.

Flying is also my fashion, but was not fortunate enough as my parents was not able to send me to the flying school, that's why I ended up flying RC Planes instead. :mrgreen: My fav is the DHC-2 Beaver with floats :lol:
Yes, vid taken with the TG-2. I really like it. TG-3 is similar but also has wifi.

Hey, if you like flying, you gotta do it. Way less expensive than most think. That is definitely my #1 passion. My plane is essentially a mini Beaver (same designer), but modern design and technology. Best floatplane of its type by far. Can go 3 people into high small alpine lakes, where most planes can't go at all, and only a very few can with 1 or 2 people. Plus it can cruise pretty fast, too (faster than a Beaver, and a fraction of the fuel). Here is a fav destination which is just a 1/2 hour flight north of my home base Langley airport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im2oviUQoxI&list=UUxa_P39J4QKqeFER5HHb8jA

Ive always mounted my cameras to the underside of the wings then attached a safety line to the struts :biggrin:
Yeah, but if it ever came off would do a heck of a number banging on your wing and strut. I think I would rather sacrifice the camera...:neutral: Do you fly?

FishingGoalie
12-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah, but if it ever came off would do a heck of a number banging on your wing and strut. I think I would rather sacrifice the camera...:neutral: Do you fly?[/QUOTE]

Ive never had it come off so i wouldnt know. The 3m material is quite strong with my go pro. Yes i fly cessna 172's and small canvas home made planes at my cottage. Been flying since i was 12 so almost 5 years now. Have you had a look at the new icon a5 there super cool

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Ive never had it come off so i wouldnt know. The 3m material is quite strong with my go pro. Yes i fly cessna 172's and small canvas home made planes at my cottage. Been flying since i was 12 so almost 5 years now. Have you had a look at the new icon a5 there super cool
The icon a5 is a long ways from being an aircraft that people would buy. Looks cute, but not very practical, being a pusher and boat hull. Lots of similar sportplanes (the type that appear in Popular Mechanics or Science) that have failed to make it beyond the prototype phase, incl some car planes.
What "canvas home made plane" did you fly at your cottage? I also started off flying pusher ultralights at our cabin in the early 90s.. Lots of fun, but certainly have their limitations. I still have one that I fly for fun.

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Did some boogie boarding in Maui, too. Lots of fun.... haha. Strapped my action cam to the side of my head.
http://youtu.be/0vDfQQIGFQI?list=UUxa_P39J4QKqeFER5HHb8jA

hillegom
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
:cool:

Madreefer
12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Nice video. But to be honest I like the flying vids better. I've watched all your vids. You posted one months ago or maybe last year of a lake in central interior. Where was that? My family has a plane at the Langley Airport as well. CRS ring a bell?

toytech
12-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I love maui , been there a few times now .Last time we went a turtle scared the crap outa me when I crashed into me in high surf , thought it was a shark for sure . If you stuffed the plane with jerry cans could you make it all the way to maui ?

Reef Pilot
12-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Nice video. But to be honest I like the flying vids better. I've watched all your vids. You posted one months ago or maybe last year of a lake in central interior. Where was that? My family has a plane at the Langley Airport as well. CRS ring a bell?
Maybe it was Taskeko (camped there with the grizzlies).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmqUQ6lA_M&list=UUxa_P39J4QKqeFER5HHb8jA
CRS, hmmm?? You'll have to give me more clues,... what plane?. I know a lot of the pilots and planes at Langley.

I love maui , been there a few times now .Last time we went a turtle scared the crap outa me when I crashed into me in high surf , thought it was a shark for sure . If you stuffed the plane with jerry cans could you make it all the way to maui ?

Haha,... if it takes a jetliner 5 1/2 hours, would take me 4 times that long or more. Much cheaper (and safer) to buy a ticket... I like flying, but I know my limits... lol.

But yeah, Maui is our fav place. Keep trying other places, but nowhere else comes close.

Madreefer
12-04-2014, 03:16 AM
Maybe it was Taskeko (camped there with the grizzlies).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmqUQ6lA_M&list=UUxa_P39J4QKqeFER5HHb8jA
CRS, hmmm?? You'll have to give me more clues,... what plane?. I know a lot of the pilots and planes at Langley

They have a Challenger. They just got a RV-6A but it's sitting in a hangar in Salmon Arm and won't arrive in Langley until January

Reef Pilot
12-04-2014, 03:40 AM
They have a Challenger. They just got a RV-6A but it's sitting in a hangar in Salmon Arm and won't arrive in Langley until January
OK, haven't seen any Challenger here, but lots of RVs in Langley, of all models.

kien
12-04-2014, 05:01 AM
Cool! Thanks for sharing Walter ! OMG that shimmer on the turtle's back is absolutely mesmerizing !

Reef Pilot
12-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Cool! Thanks for sharing Walter ! OMG that shimmer on the turtle's back is absolutely mesmerizing !
Haha, yeah, you'd think it was in an LED tank...:razz: