PDA

View Full Version : Might be a dumb question....

Dearth
12-01-2014, 07:12 PM
I was asked a question about fish breeding which I couldn't answer this morning. It may be a moot question but I'd rather give a proper answer than an educated guess.

Is it possible for 2 separate fish species to breed in the home aquarium? IE. Chromis and dottyback, Clown and Chromis and so on.

ponokareefer
12-01-2014, 07:21 PM
Yes it is. Next to impossible for any babies to survive in a reef tank though.

CM125
12-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't know, but a half chromi, half clown would look awesome...

toytech
12-01-2014, 07:35 PM
They would have to at least be members of the same species to come close , dogs and cats are both mamals but there is no dog/cat hybrid , but a dog can breed with a wolf .There are lots of tang hybrids and some angels too that can produce a hybrid .

TimT
12-01-2014, 08:55 PM
They would have to at least be members of the same species to come close

There have been lots of hybrid fish but only within the same genus. ie Dwarf angel with Dwarf angel and also some tangs. Scopas with Yellow and Powder Grey with Achilles.

Madreefer
12-01-2014, 09:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkg7DPcMZ-s

George
12-01-2014, 09:29 PM
The last few levels of classifications of living things are:
Family
Genus
Species

I have been following hybrid fish for a long time now. From what I read, only fish that are in the same genus have a possibility of hybridizing.
For example, lemonpeel angelfish, it is in:
Family: Pomacanthidae
Genus: Centropyge
Species: flavissima
It can hybrid with a a few of species under the same Genus, like C. eibli and C. vrolikii.

Both flame angelfish and emporor angelfish are in the same family, Pomacanthidae, but they are not hybridizing.
HTH

mike31154
12-02-2014, 12:27 AM
I don't know, but a half chromi, half clown would look awesome...

If not mistaken, both clownfish & chromis are 'damsel fish' (species?), so maybe not that far fetched. Generally they don't really get along in a tank & keep their distance if they don't actually kill one another. So yeah, unlikely I reckon. Nevertheless, nature & natural selection have a way of defying logic sometimes, that's how 'diversity' happens?