PDA

View Full Version : Return pump(s) for new build (36x30x20)

ashr
11-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Hey all

I am working away on my new build (36x30x20 93g) and wanted to hear everyone thoughts on a return pump(s).

My sump is 26x26x16 (9" water level).

So I am looking for the best bang for my buck. I could go with a single 900GPH Rio Plus 3100 or two 600GPH ones. I wanted to know what other brands would work well and are silent.

Any info would be awesome.

Wheelman76
11-28-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm using the fluval sea sp4 on my tank. It's 1800gph and super silent. It uses an askol motor block which is the same motor block that they use in the red dragon pumps. It's around $200. Oh and you can just reduce the flow using a ball valve if it's too much.

ashr
11-28-2014, 04:23 AM
I'm using the fluval sea sp4 on my tank. It's 1800gph and super silent. It uses an askol motor block which is the same motor block that they use in the red dragon pumps. It's around $200. Oh and you can just reduce the flow using a ball valve if it's too much.

Where did you find one? Any local dealers?

ashr
11-28-2014, 04:28 AM
I also see that Mag-Drive Utility Pump - Model 18 are on sale. Any thoughts on these? 1800gph as well.

Aquattro
11-28-2014, 04:41 AM
My tank is slightly larger than yours and I use, and am happy with a Quiet One 4000. About 68 bucks at J&L

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-28-2014, 05:30 AM
I went with an Eheim compact 2000 ($99 at J&L) on my 93g 30" cube because my Quiet One was waaaaaaay too noisy. I've yet to find a Quiet One that lives up to its name. This is my first Eheim return pump and I couldn't be happier with it.

Anthony

Wheelman76
11-28-2014, 06:05 AM
Where did you find one? Any local dealers?

Ordered mine from pets and ponds

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Doesn't reducing flow like that cause back pressure?

Aquattro
11-28-2014, 12:35 PM
my Quiet One was waaaaaaay too noisy. I've yet to find a Quiet One that lives up to its name.
Anthony

Odd. I run 2 4000s in my sump and can't hear either of them. Although, I did just buy a 6000 and it's the loudest pump I've ever heard. Maybe the design has changed?
FWIW, Wayne runs an Ehiem on his and it's dead silent. Another friend runs the same pump, and is pretty loud. I dunno.. :)

CM125
11-28-2014, 12:47 PM

The fluvals are awesome, they just run a bit hot, would still recommend!

I also see that Mag-Drive Utility Pump - Model 18 are on sale. Any thoughts on these? 1800gph as well.

Loud, overrated IMO

I went with an Eheim compact 2000 ($99 at J&L) on my 93g 30" cube because my Quiet One was waaaaaaay too noisy. I've yet to find a Quiet One that lives up to its name. This is my first Eheim return pump and I couldn't be happier with it.

Anthony

Strange, mine is frikken awesome

H2o2
11-29-2014, 02:46 AM
Hey Andrew have a look at this 1 http://fragbox.ca/coral-frags/coral-frags/jebao-dc-3000/

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-29-2014, 06:49 AM
I guess there's lemons and good ones with every brand.

ashr
11-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I still don't know what to get haha. I guess I have time as I am in no hurry really. I would pref 900gph+ as the flow will be going to two returns on the tank (left/right side) So splitting it will lower it on each.

The Jebao 6000 looks pretty nice as well.

Nicole.
11-30-2014, 03:27 AM
I just bought the Jebao DC6000. Works great, extremely silent (can't even hear it) and I like the gradual start up and adjustable speed. Hopefully I'll have good luck and it'll last for awhile. I do have a back up pump in case anything happens though. That's the risk you take on with Jebao.

ashr
11-30-2014, 04:39 AM
Good to hear you like it so far. Where did you get yours from? Also, have you found it runs hot?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-30-2014, 09:00 AM
I am also using a Jebao DC3000 on my main tank and its been doing a great job for about a year now I think. Also like the soft start and controllability.

Aquattro
11-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Also like the soft start and controllability.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this something to like? Don't we just need a pump to put water back into the tank? Why is it a "feature" to start slowly? And why do we want to change it ever? How is this better than "On" at our chosen flow rate?

H2o2
11-30-2014, 02:14 PM
well in my boys application I was thinking of putting a check valve in the return line as the sump will be in the basement so then with the soft start it will gradually get the water flowing rather than hammer and I also have dc on my skimmer in the sump at my place so after a power outage u have 10 seconds of ramp time on the skimmer to get going up to speed and in that time my dart pump gets my sump almost back to the correct level so I don't get take crazy overflow in my skimmer cup

Aquattro
11-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Fair enough. Not issues I have with my setup, so I guess it's not something I appreciate :)

mihaivapler
11-30-2014, 07:33 PM
i would suggest jebao dc pumps..i have one dc1200 and a dc3000 and both of them are running flawlessly for a year now and the noise is 0..only at 100% you might hear a little bit..and what is sweet about them you can dial down the rpm..i run my pumps at 20% and 60% so you ddont have to mess with valves to put pressure on the pump...plus the price is very good.

Nicole.
11-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but why is this something to like? Don't we just need a pump to put water back into the tank? Why is it a "feature" to start slowly? And why do we want to change it ever? How is this better than "On" at our chosen flow rate?

It's like having a light fixture that is dimmable and has a sunrise function.
Not necessary but it is nice to have that possibility.

With the gradual start up, there isn't a sudden explosiveness of water.
Being able to change the intensity of the return pump means you can use it for a broader range of applications. Almost all of my equipment can still be reused if I ever want to upgrade or downgrade.
It also has a 10min feed feature which I fine useful to target feed corals.

Of course this can also be done if you have an apex but it is hard to beat the price of Jebao products which already come with these features.

Nicole.
11-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Good to hear you like it so far. Where did you get yours from? Also, have you found it runs hot?

No heat whatsoever so far. I actually wish it did get hot to combat the winter cold..tank is having troubles with getting above 24C :redface:

I got mine in the states. You can get a dc6000 from fish street for $85 + $35 shipping to your door. I recently bought a dosing pump from fish street and it arrived within a week.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Brad,

After I shut off my return to do a water change, the water level is below the return outlet. A soft start allows some water to enter the display slowly first, whereas my old pump caused a firehose effect which splashed water everywhere (on the underside of my glass tops for instance) and freaked out the fish. Also, I like to dial down my return so having that feature is perfect for my application. I run mine at about 80%, but can run it up to 100% or slow it down if I change my mind. I like having that controllability.

Anthony

Aquattro
12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Brad,

After I shut off my return to do a water change, the water level is below the return outlet. A soft start allows some water to enter the display slowly first, whereas my old pump caused a firehose effect which splashed water everywhere (on the underside of my glass tops for instance) and freaked out the fish. Also, I like to dial down my return so having that feature is perfect for my application. I run mine at about 80%, but can run it up to 100% or slow it down if I change my mind. I like having that controllability.

Anthony

Ya, I suppose if things are setup that way, it's useful. I don't suffer from any of that and am fine with just "On". I also dislike additional cords and controllers and such, but I guess if there's an application for it, all good.

ashr
12-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the info all! Boxing day is coming up~