PDA

View Full Version : Rock flower anemone care

jason604
11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
I've always wanted a anemone, but don't really have much room and afraid they will wander n kill my corals till I read that rock flower does not move around much and has a weak sting. What do u guys that have them do in terms of feeding, care and placement? I'm not sure if u have to feed them or not like rbtas and such. Will nemos host them? Also if someone has a nice one for sale or trade please let me know =).

theokie
11-25-2014, 03:12 PM
I currently have three in my tank. They have never moved more then a few inches, but you need to provide them with a rocky crevice to place their foot down in, as when threatened they will pull back into the rocks.

I feed mine cut up shrimp or scallop every third day or so, they are very aggressive feeders, and must have a good sting as the Skunk Cleaner shrimp get very ****ed off when trying to steal their food.

I have an SPS majority tank and have them down near the bottom of a 30" tank, you want them to have flow but not enough flow that they can't lay flat. They do not host clown fish.

When you get one they will attach very quickly and can be quite sticky when getting out of the bag. With my three they all attached to the rock work within minutes of being placed. I turned off my closed loop and mp40 so they wouldn't get blown around, and turned the flow back on once they anchored down. As with most anemones if you are one who is constantly changing your power heads flow patterns or messing with your lighting, they will wander, as long as conditions stay the same they will tend to stay put once they find their "happy" place.

A quick iphone photo from this morning
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8641/15689446268_3847fa9ca6_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pUqvLh)My rock flower garden (https://flic.kr/p/pUqvLh) by MechEcub (https://www.flickr.com/people/63308357@N00/), on Flickr

jason604
11-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Wow those look amazing! I need 1 ASAP!

theokie
11-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Wow those look amazing! I need 1 ASAP!

Well 2 of those are considered "ULTRA" so you might be in for some sticker shock if you are expecting them to be in the 50 to 100 dollar range.

For some of the "Ultra" colors expect to pay 200+

Madreefer
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I need 1 ASAP!

Sorry bud but really not trying to be harsh.

Slow down and don't be putting anything in your tank until it's healthy. You have 10 pages of "save my tank". Your tank takes time to get to a healthy stage, no need for anymore deaths or problems due to a lack of patience.

ronau
11-25-2014, 03:49 PM

Slow down and don't be putting anything in your tank until it's healthy. You have 10 pages of "save my tank". Your tank takes time to get to a healthy stage, no need for anymore deaths or problems due to a lack of patience.

Not harsh at all, good advice.

jason604
11-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Yea true lol. I heard they are super hardy. My tank looks a lot healthier now. So many pretty things that's its so hard to say no to! U must understand my pain lol.

CM125
11-25-2014, 05:20 PM
My Rock flower has lived through everything, we even forgot it in the sump (face down) for like 2 weeks once. Hearty indeed

theokie
11-25-2014, 09:43 PM
The biggest thing in this hobby is patience, nothing happens quickly as you are creating an artificial ecosystem. Anemones are particularly sensitive to sudden changes.

A good way to look at it is set goals, and use the pretty live stock to reword yourself when you achieve these goals. Mine for example involve months of stability, for example after X months, I can get X.

But then again I can be impulsive, especially with seasonably available fish, hence why my sump may have a few fish waiting for my 200 gallon build to cycle. But then again my sump consists of a 90 gallon with live rock and lights to grow mushrooms, xenia and gsp, in addition to a traditional 75 gallon partially filled sump.