PDA

View Full Version : Recent fish deaths...

bloat
11-24-2014, 04:59 AM
Just curious if anyone else has had problems with fish from j&l lately.
Not slagging them at all.
Have lost the four fish I aquired from them in the last couple weeks and am curious if others have had issues.
A friend of mine was at the store on the weekend and mentioned he saw half the tanks empty.

I still think JL is the best place to shop, just looking to see if there is any similar experiences

acepumping
11-24-2014, 05:49 AM
Jl is doing a clean up. Slowly doing each tank..
I have bought 3 fish recently and no issues

bloat
11-24-2014, 05:58 AM
Glad to hear that.
Thanks

Myka
11-24-2014, 01:18 PM
How long are the fish in transit? What temperature is the water when you receive them? What is your acclimation process?

There's a big difference between the two of you...assuming the OP is getting fish shipped, and the other fellow is picking them up himself.

bloat
11-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I have been buying from JL for about the last 10 years, and will continue to do so.
My travel time is about 6hrs, but this has never posed an issue in the past.
I bought inverts at the same times and they are all fine, just trying to track down unexpected fish deaths.

reefwars
11-24-2014, 03:07 PM
What type of fish and were they new arrivals or recent?

davej
11-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I am local and have not had much luck myself lately.
I am 20 minute drive, do slow acclimation etc.
Last purchase was green, yellow and high-fin goby.
Yellow clown goby was only one to make it, rest are MIA.

bloat
11-24-2014, 04:48 PM
they were all small gobies etc...which I find usually quite hardy
A couple were a little more rare, so prolly newer stock

George
11-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Not sure if you want to find out the cause of the fish death or questioning the health of live stock in the fish store.
To find out the cause of the fish death, we probably need to know how they died. Did they have any visible wounds, marks, lumps, dots, etc? Were they eating before they die? Did they die in quarantine tank or display tank? Did they all die more or less the same time or over a few days?
The live stock in that fish store are healthy (or not healthy) similar to other LFS I guess. They don't do any thing special to quarantine their fish. My observation is that health of their more sensitive fish will deteriorate if the fish stay in their tanks for longer time (like more than a couple weeks).

Myka
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
I have been buying from JL for about the last 10 years, and will continue to do so.
My travel time is about 6hrs, but this has never posed an issue in the past.
I bought inverts at the same times and they are all fine, just trying to track down unexpected fish deaths.

Ok. So you have lots of experience with this vendor and acclimating fish in the past. However, we do need more info...like the guy above posted. Has anything you end been different? IE: more sensitive fish, a different acclimation process than usual, new lighting in the tank, etc.

It's always a good idea to ask the vendor when the fish came in when purchasing. If the fish has been in the store for less than about 30 hours it can be quite stressful to move them again so quickly. Maybe if J&L is doing a clean up of their tanks they are keeping less stock and therefore turnover might be quicker. There are lots of variables, if nothing on your end is any different, then start asking more questions when you purchase.

bloat
11-24-2014, 11:38 PM
As stated earlier, I am only curious if any other reefers have had issues in the very recent past (last couple weeks).

That's it.

Not concerned about narrowing down why they died (they are not expensive), and definately not blaming the vendor. All my other stock is doing fine too.

I am use to loosing SPS, but not fish. (4 in a couple weeks)

Right now, I'm leaning towards thinking that they were all very recent stock, and never really acclimated to aquarium life.

JL is awesome for us reefers. Best store in BC IMO.

Myka
11-25-2014, 02:30 AM
Not concerned about narrowing down why they died (they are not expensive)

Two things...

1) Don't you think that narrowing down why your fish died would have a significant impact on solving your current question?

2) Why does the value of the fish determine how concerned you are about the fish dying? Sure, it sucks to enjoy an expensive fish for only a short period of time, but a fish is a fish.

bloat
11-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Its not that I'm not concerned why they are dead, it's that I can't do anything about it. Please don't turn this thread to an issue of ethics and dissect my posts in a manor that implies I don't care about the value of life. You don't know me.

I am pretty sure it's not my system causing this. So that makes me feel better.

Maybe I should ask more questions before I buy, or visually watch the fish more, or have them be fed, or have them swim laps, have pics sent or whatever....but the reality is that's not always possible.

Myka
11-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Its not that I'm not concerned why they are dead, it's that I can't do anything about it. Please don't turn this thread to an issue of ethics and dissect my posts in a manor that implies I don't care about the value of life. You don't know me.

Maybe choose your words more carefully. :noidea: Typing is hard to judge people's intent, and you've brushed off some reasonable concerns. Sometimes it's better to ask simpler questions to achieve the simpler answer that I think you're looking for.

bloat
11-25-2014, 03:49 PM
I thought my original post was simple and to the point...I was looking for info on people who had recently purchased fish from this company.

That's it.

Kinda went sideways for some reason.
Thanks for all input

tang daddy
11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
I've bought some gobies from Jl recently....
Ora neon goby, ora green stripe goby, small red line goby from their nano tanks and last week got a yellow face goby and small anthias.

Can't seem to find the yellow face goby but super small gobies tend to be shy and it may be hiding... Are you sure your fish are dead? I thought my green stripe ora died but it was hiding for a few days. I searched high and low, in the back compartment and nowhere to be found. My tank is BB so it's easy to look at the reflection to see under rocks. Finally saw him chilling out and now he hides under a monti. Doesn't come out much even when tank is being fed he sits there. I see him nipping filamentous algae on the glass tho so he seems ok.

Hope this helps!