PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an Angel for my Reef

straightrazorguy
11-23-2014, 07:27 PM
I want one more fish for my 3 ft cube (150 gal). It is a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, a few zoas, mushrooms and a gorg). The tank is fully cycled, has a 55 gal refugium full of critters, and is almost fully stocked up with fish. I would like to add a medium-sized angel or a pair. By medium I mean under 6 inches fully grown. I know angels are hit and miss when it comes to corals. I do feed my fish 3 times a day and am willing to take a chance. Some of the angels I am considering are:
- Venustus angel
- Multibar angel (preferably a pair)
- Potter's angel
- Bicolour angel
- Regal angel

I'm looking for advice from experienced reefers. Which one would you choose from this list? Any suggestions that's not on my list?

Myka
11-23-2014, 07:31 PM
What other fish do you have? I've always been a sucker for Majestic Angels and Multibar angels. I think Regals get too big for your tank, and would be more likely to cause you grief than the others you listed.

straightrazorguy
11-23-2014, 07:51 PM
What other fish do you have? I've always been a sucker for Majestic Angels and Multibar angels. I think Regals get too big for your tank, and would be more likely to cause you grief than the others you listed.

Good point, Myka; I already have:
- A 4 inch Yellow Tang
- a 3 inch Kole Tang
- A 4 inch Copperband Butterfly
- A 4 inch Harlequin Tusk
- A 4 inch Tamarin Wrasse
- A 3 inch Orangeback fairy Wrasse
- A 2 inch Leopard Wrasse
- A mated pair of true Percula Clowns
- A 3 inch Cleaner Wrasse

10 fish in total

George
11-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I want one more fish for my 3 ft cube (150 gal). It is a mixed reef (SPS, LPS, a few zoas, mushrooms and a gorg). The tank is fully cycled, has a 55 gal refugium full of critters, and is almost fully stocked up with fish. I would like to add a medium-sized angel or a pair. By medium I mean under 6 inches fully grown. I know angels are hit and miss when it comes to corals. I do feed my fish 3 times a day and am willing to take a chance. Some of the angels I am considering are:
- Venustus angel
- Multibar angel (preferably a pair)
- Potter's angel
- Bicolour angel
- Regal angel

I'm looking for advice from experienced reefers. Which one would you choose from this list? Any suggestions that's not on my list?

Some of the fish in the list above are hard to get trained to eat prepare food. Regal angel is infamous for that. Venustus, multibar and potters are also slow to accept prepared food in a lesser degree.
The other small angel fish that are not on your list but are colorful (if colors are you looking for) are flame, lemon peel, and multicolor.
It's your tank, put whatever fish you like in the tank as long as you understand the risk.

seabreeze
11-23-2014, 10:27 PM
You are taking a chance with any angel in a reef tank. Are you planning to ever have a clam? Loved my potters but could never keep a clam. Even if they are fed well, they may suddenly one day decide to try the landscape.

halwake
11-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Have a regal and flame in my tank with a maxima clam, lps and sps. They are both model citizens. Got my Regal from Incredible Aquarium. He was a bit shy at first, but eats everything including pellets like crazy, mysis, nori. I do consider myself very fortunate though, some are tough to get eating. Regals are one of my favorite Angels.

straightrazorguy
11-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Halwake, does your Regal touch any corals? It's also the biggest of all the angels I listed (10 in full grown).

halwake
11-23-2014, 11:36 PM
He does not touch the SPS, LPS, or my maxima clam. We had some pink and white sponge growing on the bottom of some of the rock, he cleaned that up other than that all he touches is the pellets, mysis, nori, flake, anything I feed them pretty much. He is around three inches. Again, I do consider myself very fortunate with him, other people may say the opposite. Many of the other regals I have seen were in the five inch range, maybe cause my guy was so small he was easier to get onto prepared food and leaves everything else alone, for now at least:wink:

Myka
11-24-2014, 01:57 AM
I've found (and heard others claim the same) that smaller specimens (of larger fish) are easier to adapt to accepting foods and tend to taste corals less. My Flame Angel pecked every SPS I had, but left LPS alone. Your fish list looks fine - whatever you decide, I would try to find something around the same size as your other fish, like 3-4".

Treebeard
11-24-2014, 06:31 PM
I have a Flame and Pygmy Cherub, and they are both model citizens. They have never nibbled on SPS, LPS or clams. (knocks on wooden desk!)

TimT
11-24-2014, 06:54 PM
There are several reef safe angels in the genus Genicanthus.

The Female Bellus Angel is one of my favourites, they eat readily and don't grow too big.

Another nice one is the Watanabei but they get bigger than the Bellus.

straightrazorguy
11-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Tim. Unfortunately I don't find the Geniacanthus and Watanabei family attractive. I know they are the most reef-safe angels, but they don't do anything for me.

Currently I am leaning towards Multibar or Potter's angels. Having said that, I have always wanted to try a Moorish Idol. I know their track record is abysmal, and they may not even be all that reef-safe, but boy, are they cool! Are there any MI people on this forum who can share their experiences?

TimT
11-24-2014, 09:03 PM
I would go with the Potters. Not as delicate and they hail from Hawaii so you won't get a cyanided one. I see the Multibar's occasionally on the Walt Smith Fiji stocklist(they won't be cyanided either) as they come from the South Pacific. Multibar's also come from Indonesia, one of the cyanide and parasite capitals of the industry.

I have had several MI in the past. I put one in my mother in law's 150 and she had it for 3+ years. If you get the right one they can do fine. They are sensitive shippers and can get their mouths damaged quite easily. You need to be very discerning when picking one at a store. If it's damaged or thin pass on it.

Cheers,
Tim

Aquattro
11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Are there any MI people on this forum who can share their experiences?

I don't have mine yet, but it's been doing well at the store for about a year. Great eater, loves pellets and nori, and only rarely nips at a coral. Not sure how it will do with my clam yet, but we'll see. Coming home in a couple weeks, then QT for 3 months and then into the display.

straightrazorguy
11-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Brad how big is the MI. And what size is your DT? I read they can grow to 8 inches...

Aquattro
11-24-2014, 11:12 PM
He is what would be called a typical medium, I suppose. About 4 inches? Hasn't grow a cm in a year, so doubt I'll see any growth. My DT is about 115g, or 30x40" foot print.
To be honest, I've never had any fish grow at all. Ever. They all get thicker, but never longer. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?? :)

straightrazorguy
11-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Oh, mine grow. My copperband grew about half inch in the last year, the yellow tang about an inch, and the harlequin tusk approx half inch in 6 months. Maybe I overfeed? Anyway, I don't want huge fish...

Aquattro
11-25-2014, 12:22 AM
I feed way too much, and nothing. Weird.

Samw
11-25-2014, 12:38 AM
I don't have mine yet, but it's been doing well at the store for about a year. Great eater, loves pellets and nori, and only rarely nips at a coral. Not sure how it will do with my clam yet, but we'll see. Coming home in a couple weeks, then QT for 3 months and then into the display.

That is awesome! You got any zoas? You may not have any left later. :) Clams should be OK. Water will need to always be highly oxygenated. Won't survive very long during a power outage without aerator.

Aquattro
11-25-2014, 01:20 AM
That is awesome! You got any zoas? You may not have any left later. :) Clams should be OK. Water will need to always be highly oxygenated. Won't survive very long during a power outage without aerator.

No zoas, not my thing. But may look for cheap brown ones for food if you think that might be good :)

DAVE
11-25-2014, 01:11 PM
I have a Clarion Angel for Sale. Been in my mixed reef with no issues. I have everything in it (zoas, clams, acans, chalice, sps).