PDA

View Full Version : Frustrations with Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer

kamloops_reefer
11-22-2014, 04:58 PM
anyone else running this skimmer at 9-3/4" water depth is close with problems? I have the riser tube open 100% I also have the adjustable nozzle (where the water comes in) turned out almost all the way

this thing is skimming wet, not very dark. When I pulled my filter socks and put new ones in, this went crazy and just overflowed the collection cup like no tomorrow.

one other concern I always had... the skimmer doesn't' really seem to sit level - the pump weight tilts it a tad bit, and the weight of the cup usually brings it to plumb. I could be paranoid, and granted with all the problems I've had with this thing I should be - but shouldn't it be plumb?

FishingGoalie
11-22-2014, 05:35 PM
anyone else running this skimmer at 9-3/4" water depth is close with problems? I have the riser tube open 100% I also have the adjustable nozzle (where the water comes in) turned out almost all the way

this thing is skimming wet, not very dark. When I pulled my filter socks and put new ones in, this went crazy and just overflowed the collection cup like no tomorrow.

one other concern I always had... the skimmer doesn't' really seem to sit level - the pump weight tilts it a tad bit, and the weight of the cup usually brings it to plumb. I could be paranoid, and granted with all the problems I've had with this thing I should be - but shouldn't it be plumb?

I had the same problem that depth is definitely too deep as i was at 9 inches and had the same problem.built a PVC square to raise it up a inch and a half. I also found that i needed to thoroughly rinse out my filter socks before putting them into my tank.

Skimmer Juice
11-22-2014, 05:53 PM
Have my 150 set at 7.5 inches , works great the smell makes me want to puke when I take the lid off the cup to empty/clean lol. I would raise the skimmer and try that .

davej
11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Was running mine at 8.5" and not too happy with production. After some reading on different forums decided to raid it up an inch. So far much better. Still find it very finicky, if you feed or put hand in tank, foam collapses right away.

reeferfulton
11-22-2014, 06:14 PM
hello.
i have mine in 8 inches of water and is perfect.

are all your filter socks new? new filter socks always cause skimmers to overflow like crazy for days and days in my experience.

if you are using new filter socks for the first time i recommend vinegar soak and a major rinse first.
i am guessing that thia ia your problem

jordsyke
11-23-2014, 03:33 AM
yes tht is too deep

halwake
11-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Have the 150 as well at nine inches of water and could only get tea coloured skim mate except around the throat and lid. I have raised it up to 7.5 inches water depth and we will see how that works.

Thanks again.

The Guy
11-23-2014, 06:10 PM
Have my 150 set at 7.5 inches , works great the smell makes me want to puke when I take the lid off the cup to empty/clean lol. I would raise the skimmer and try that .
+ 1 agree This seems to be magic depth for me as well, I also get the gross smelling very dark glop, smells just like sewer, wife leave's the room when I empty it. I ran mine in a vinegar bath for 24 hours for break in when I got it new put it into the sump made some adjustments for a couple of days to dial it in and it's been perfect since then. Good luck :smile:

seabreeze
11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
I have the Omega 150 and love it. How long have you been running it? It will flow wet until it breaks in. And yes, agree with the filter socks... will overflow like crazy if you don't rinse first.

kamloops_reefer
11-23-2014, 10:28 PM
I've been using this for 1.5 years off and on between moves

The Guy
11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
I stopped using filter socks before the skimmer compartment for 2 reasons first they are a PITA to clean and second I think it's better to let the skimmer to skim out the bad stuff from the DT and then filter the water leaving the skimmer compartment. I use rolled filter media in the narrow bubble trap compartment just before the water goes to the return pump compartment so the returning water to the DT is very clean. There is all kinds of opinions on sumps and there use , this configuration works very well for me and my DT water is pristine all the time. :wink:

lastlight
11-24-2014, 05:52 AM
my 150 is raised to 7.5" in my sump and i had a brief period of success but it's been slightly green water in there ever since. anytime i check the foam column it seems to be collapsed. the gunk is always on the neck no matter how i've tried to adjust it. my venturi intake nozzle thing is fully closed...

kamloops_reefer
11-24-2014, 06:02 AM
my 150 is raised to 7.5" in my sump and i had a brief period of success but it's been slightly green water in there ever since. anytime i check the foam column it seems to be collapsed. the gunk is always on the neck no matter how i've tried to adjust it. my venturi intake nozzle thing is fully closed...
I find this too. I've disassembled, I've run in vinegar etc. far too many things I've done for this thing. Would rather return and start with a new one at this point. And I think that's fair. When I first got it, it was great.

FitoPharmer
11-26-2014, 01:04 AM
You can come over and see how my 150 is setup or I can test yours in my tank for a while.

kamloops_reefer
11-26-2014, 01:13 AM
thanks I'll keep that in mind