PDA

View Full Version : auto top off

darkreef
11-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Just got a brand new auto top off less then two weeks ago.

Didn't I just drop the controller into my sump...
Top off has went full crazy...

Can I program my auto top off to my apex...
It's a tunze 5017.

Hoping to use the sensor since the float switchs just die on me

ronau
11-19-2014, 04:07 AM
Just got a brand new auto top off less then two weeks ago.

Didn't I just drop the controller into my sump...
Top off has went full crazy...

Can I program my auto top off to my apex...
It's a tunze 5017.

Hoping to use the sensor since the float switchs just die on me

Not sure if they are compatible, will you be running it through a breakout box?

If so, it might work but I think you'll just have to try. I just happen to have a new breakout box and dual floats switches if you need some ;)

darkreef
11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I have a breakout box for my apex... Just looking for good quality switchs the standard ones always seem to break on me.. Or stay on... Maybe Il use two or three lol

ronau
11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Do you keep up with regular maintenance on them? I think they get gummed up pretty quick with algae and/or snails. There was also someone in the classifieds with a bunch of Tunze parts, maybe he has a controller in his collection.

whatcaneyedo
11-19-2014, 01:46 PM
There are several ways of using the Apex for ATO. My program is here http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108831&highlight=apex+ato I'm not sure about using Tunze parts though, I just use a maxi jet and some eBay float switches.

darkreef
11-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Sounds good.. Il try it out

GrantB
11-19-2014, 11:03 PM
I have been using an Avast pressure switch with the Apex and a breakout box for quite a while now with zero issues, no plugging or having to worry about anything growing on and possibly obstructing the float switch (damn tube snails). Only issue I had was the magnet is so strong that it can interfere with float switches so you have to watch where you place it.

darkreef
11-21-2014, 06:59 PM
I have been using an Avast pressure switch with the Apex and a breakout box for quite a while now with zero issues, no plugging or having to worry about anything growing on and possibly obstructing the float switch (damn tube snails). Only issue I had was the magnet is so strong that it can interfere with float switches so you have to watch where you place it.

Il have to keep that in mind... I threw my controller in rice...
Guess what.. It works.... Got lucky since I plugged it in wet!

Thanks everyone for the ideas though it's always good to know I tend to break stuff before holidays... And panic mode